• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Budget green screen - where to get material?

Reaction score
I've been reading about the topic "green screen on a budget" and would like to start doing this kind of work. I have Final Cut Pro and have looked at several tutorials that show you how to do the chroma keying...I just don't have a "green screen".

Several people have suggested using a green fabric. Great...

The problem is that I am having a hard time finding fabric that is wider than ~4 feet. Any ideas? I've gone to fabric stores like Jo-Anns fabric, etc. After looking at me weird, they can't help much. They don't have anything wide enough. Ideally I am looking for something 6-8 feet wide so that I can stand in front of the wall and move around a little bit, rather than just sit in a chair or remain stationary.

Maybe use a bed sheet?

I lease my house, so I can't paint the wall - that was my next idea.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Just done a Google on green screen on a budget and got millions of results.

If you can't get the fabric locally then you need to either look further away from home or order something online. I imagine that both will be the same sort of cost due to postage costs online.

If you can find a bed sheet that is dark enough and not see-through then that would work. Of course, you can use a the blue colour for the chroma key as well.

If you want to do this on a budget then fabric is going to be your best option I'm afraid...

OP
Dante2004
Reaction score
Yeah...I've done google searches also. Most of what I find focuses more on how to work with the software, etc., not the actual SOURCE of the material.

You read "get a piece of green material" or "paint the wall green"...

Great. I can't paint the wall and I WOULD go buy the fabric if I could find a place. I prefer to buy in person so that I can see the actual color of the material. Unless of course it was specifically designed for this purpose and I could trust the color selection, but then it would probably cost a fortune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why can't you buy multiple pieces of fabric and then just sew them together?

OP
Dante2004
Reaction score
That is a possiblity, but I was concerned about how the seam would show up.

Maybe that is the way to go...hoping to get some feedback on that from people who have done it.

Then again, I don't know how to sew... I guess I would have to pay to have someone do that. But if that's the way to go, then I'll go that route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.