Transfer Files From iMac to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I would like to be able to transfer some of my files on my iMac to my MacBook Pro. I connected them both with a FireWire Cable, thinking an icon would show up as if it was an external HD. Is it as easy as this?
Thanks For any Help.

OP
nepgunes
Reaction score
I found this guide on apple.com. I'm at work right now do I can't try it but this should be the answer.

Transferring files between two Macintosh computers
There are many ways to transfer files from one Mac to another.

You can transfer files via the Internet using a .Mac or another Internet account. You can copy files over an Ethernet network or wireless network such as AirPort. You can use one computer to burn the files on a recordable CD and then copy the files from the CD to the other computer. Or you can use an external disk such as a Zip drive, portable USB or FireWire hard disk, or even a floppy disk if you purchase a USB floppy drive.

If both computers are using Mac OS X, you can connect the two computers with a FireWire cable and use Migration Assistant, located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Migration Assistant transfers your files and important settings to your new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.