New to Mac. Need advise on iTunes issue and what support recommended . . .

Reaction score
New to Mac. Need advise on iTunes issue and what support recommended . . . hardware?

Hi all,

Well here I am, first time posting on a forum using a Mac. A lot of firsts for me me the past couple of weeks. First time owning a Mac. First time experiencing a Mac. First time running software in a non Windows platform. And along with those firsts, I've experienced my first real problem with the Mac and my first service call to Mac Support.

I am very heavy Windows PC user since that is my bread and butter in the business I own. I spend at least 8 hours a day in front of a computer working with various programs from database management to working with my photos as a hobby. But decided to try the Mac as my "fun" machine. And so far, I must say, Mac is showing it's the way a computer should be; fun and intuitive.

With my Mac, I spend a lot of time using iTunes as well. Listening to saved audio podcasts and the occasional movie. However, unlike iTunes on my Windows PC, the Mac iTunes often stalls and freezes, only to continue after a 3 to 20 sec delay. When it freezes, everything freezes. The trackpad, mouse, keys, all freeze. I just need to wait for iTunes to continue or force the Mac to turn off. If I'm just listening to streaming audio, i.e. iTunes Radio, then I have no problems.

I called Apple and Support and after an hour of trying various things, they had me re-install the operating software and apply the updates. They told me if that didn't work, to bring the laptop in for service since it could be the video card. However, if a play a movie with VLC or NicePlayer, I don't have a problem. ITunes will randomly lock with no other programs running.

Anyway, I am reluctant to bring in my new MacBook for service since I do not feel it's the hardware, but rather an iTunes issue. Asking for anyone's opinion here before I decide what to do . . .

Trying to determine if this could be a hardware problem.

Thanks!

Peter
15" MBP, i7, 2.66Ghz

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is it safe to say that iTunes only freezes when playing locally stored songs/podcast/video? It doesn't suffer with the same issues when playing remote media?

Can you play the local media through VLC or other media players and see if it causes a similar issue?

iTunes is used a LOT by a lot of people, and so if this was a real iTunes problem it would've been picked up and fixed a long time ago..I use iTunes a LOT, but all of my music is stored on a NAS, so I'm always streaming music over the network..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that iTunes only freezes when playing locally stored songs/podcast/video? It doesn't suffer with the same issues when playing remote media?

Can you play the local media through VLC or other media players and see if it causes a similar issue?

iTunes is used a LOT by a lot of people, and so if this was a real iTunes problem it would've been picked up and fixed a long time ago..I use iTunes a LOT, but all of my music is stored on a NAS, so I'm always streaming music over the network..

Regards

HeyRaz, thanks for the response . . .

Yes, safe to say it only happens with locally stored files. When I listen to streaming radio, no problems. I have not tried playing streamed video. However, even if I play a small saved podcast via iTunes Podcasts subscription, I can get stalls.

Peter

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you've already done a clean install, it's time to take the machine in. There is no software reason on a fresh install to be having any sort of issue with iTunes playing any file on your computer.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you've already done a clean install, it's time to take the machine in. There is no software reason on a fresh install to be having any sort of issue with iTunes playing any file on your computer.

Thanks bobtomay,

Not sure if the reinstall I did would be considered clean. Apple support had be reinstall from the operating system from the supplied dvd. However, I still had all my files, other installed programs and such on my Mac after the reinstall. I take it a clean install would require me to maybe wipe the partition clean first and then install the operating system. Hmm . . . wondering.

Peter

OP
P
Reaction score
Update

"However, if a play a movie with VLC or NicePlayer, I don't have a problem. ITunes will randomly lock with no other programs running. "

Well now the above statement has proven to be wrong. I ran another video this morning using NicePlayer and I experienced a similar freeze. During that freeze the wait icon was spinning.

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody (Mid 2009), Currently running Leopard, 8GB iPod Touch and 16GB iPod Nano...
Maybe try checking for updates. Your computer might not be set to automatically check for updates. I was having some problems with itunes and I checked for updates and there was an update. I installed it and my itunes was okay again.

OP
P
Reaction score
Maybe try checking for updates. Your computer might not be set to automatically check for updates. I was having some problems with itunes and I checked for updates and there was an update. I installed it and my itunes was okay again.

Thanks Caitie, however all updates have been done and the problem still exists. Looks like I may need to take the Mac into service.

Peter

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes if the Mac is new enough, freezing is definitely not a good sign..so take it in and get it looked at. An i7 Mac should just absolutely rock without any hiccups with ANYTHING iTunes wants to do..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.