Bootcamp and Parallels setup

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to set up my new Mac Pro 8 core. I'll be loading Windows 7 on it. Most of the time I'll use parallels to switch from Mac to Win but sometimes for more intense windows apps I'll use bootcamp to boot into windows directly.

Question: I assume I would use bootcamp to first create a partition (how big??), then load Windows in that partition. Once that is done then I would load parallels. Does that sound correct???

Also is there any suggestions on creating a couple partitions to save files etc...keeping the mac partition just for the OS???

Thank you,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The size of your Windows 7 partition will depend on what applications you intend to install. Win 7 x 64 is a space hog and will easily use close to 20 GB without any apps installed. So judge accordingly.

The procedure you listed is correct. First create the BC partition, install Win 7, make sure everything is OK, install Parallels, create the Win 7 VM by using the BC partition as the VM, and you're all set.

No need for any other additional partitions. You can always install more hard drives later on if required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.