Bypassing list/grid function in Dock folders?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just started working on a new Macbook and this is my first exposure to 10.6.7 (don't laugh ;)). I'm trying to get the folder icons I'm used to having in the Dock, but am running into issues. In 10.4, I'd just drag the folder down to the Dock by the trash, it would stick, and then clicking it would pop open a Finder window already showing the contents of the particular folder.

In 10.6 I can still drag the icon down into the Dock, but clicking just opens the grid/list menu, cmd-clicking bypasses the flyout and goes right into the parentfolder, and it's not until I opt+cmd+click that it finally opens right into the folder I'm trying to get to.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like an unnecessary complication... Just let me click the folder regularly and have it pop open. No extra keys, no annoying list/grid/fan flying out. Is there any way to adjust the functionality to do that?

Thanks,
m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Tv 2nd Gen, iPhone 4, Macbook, 2TB Time Capsule
It all depends how many items and folders you have in the dock folder you are trying to view, try merging them and it will list for you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There could be some app out there that does it, but not one I'm aware of.

That's the whole point of stacks, to save you from the need of opening a Finder window which you then need to close after opening the file you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
it's not until I opt+cmd+click that it finally opens right into the folder I'm trying to get to.

Or you can right click (control-click if you don't have a two button mouse) and select Open in Finder from the contextual menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.