next imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
heya

i am going to buy an imac but i would like to know if it is likely that the imac will be updated before xmas?

im pretty sure it wont be but i would just like to check with you guys/girls on here

thanks

chris tm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you think about what Apple has done so far, anything can be possible. I wouldn't really care too much about upgrades as long as the current systems fullfill my needs. The current iMac C2D is a great machine and will definitely last for some years.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thankyou

cheers

ctm

Reaction score
People keep saying not to care about the upgrades and I agree to some degree. Sure, as long the machine does what you need then you should be happy.

But when you just layed down a couple grand on something and it gets upgraded a month later and retains the same purchase price I feel you have every right to feel angry.

As with many things, time heals all wounds. So even if they do upgrade, you'll get over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
In terms of hardware, I think it will be awhile before apple has any MAJOR upgrades. That's just because the Core 2 Duo's are fairly new, and they aren't just going to start putting new processors in so quickly.

However, it's possible that Apple may change like the aesthetics of their products. Like maybe they will make the iMac look cooler (I don't know if this could even be done).

It's not point keeping up with technology. Granted I usually do the same stuff over and over again, meaning I would not need to purchase a new computer very frequently... But still, I'm kind of selfish i guess and I like having the top of the line, newest stuff, even if I am not going to use it. It's a terrible quality. But yeah, everyday something new is released, so it's completely pointless to stress over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My guess would be that the iMac won't be updated any time soon. It has just received an update to Core 2 Duo. At this point, the member of the Mac line that has least recently been updated is the Mini. I expect to see a Core 2 Duo update here next, followed by an update to the Mac Pro, and then maybe an update to the iMac again, with many months separating each of these updates.

To keep product positioning intact, Apple can't upgrade the iMac to say a 2.66 GHz C2D until they can upgrade the Mac Pro first. With the new Kentsfield chip now shipping, that may be the next thing for the Mac Pro, putting it a step ahead of the 2.66 GHz part most people buy in it now. Then the iMac could be upgraded to that part without damaging their relative positions in the Mac pecking order.

That is my speculation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
From my fairly limited experience they seem to update their models in a circular motion as they start with MacPro and work their way round to the bootom of the line.

If I'm not mistaken the latest technology upgrade where done like this.

Mac Pro, iMac, PowerBook, then MacBook (being the last)....I would expect them to upgrade the Mac Mini next then start back at the beginning. Also I doubt the next round will have major updates as then currently all seem to have the latest technology I can't really see what they could upgrade.

Only thing I would like to see in the next iMac would be the ability to use the display as a standard display aswell. So you could hook up PC's to it. It would be a great space saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There may be something announced at the end of January, when we get more details about Leopard, but it would probably only be a small Mhz increase to the CPUs. There's no reason not to buy now.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you very much for all of the replies

i will go ahead and order within the next couple of weeks.

i will let you know how it goes

thank you very much, chris tm :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.