new to macs, problem installing bin file for media player

M

mdelinct

Hello,
I am 2 days new to a mac and I am trying to install windows media player so I can play .wmv files. I tried the flip4mac wmv player, doesn't seem to work. anyway, here is my problem.
when i try to open the .bin file I downloaded for the media player, it keeps opening it up with excel. What can I do?
is there a better way to watch .wmv files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Media Player isn't supported on the Mac any longer. I would highly suggest not using it and using Flip4Mac instead. Chances are that if it won't work on a wmv file, Windows Media Player for Mac wouldn't be able to open it either.

OP
M

mdelinct

I installed the flip4mac and haven't been able to play .wmv files i recieve in emails. am i doing somethiing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black
I have this problem as well (not meaning to resurrect on old thread or anything) but I searched and this is exactly my problem as well. I am using firefox for my web browser (because I already knew where everything was- I'm a switcher) and this keeps happening to me too. websites like CNN.com use windows media player for video, and other news sites do as well. is there ANYTHING I can do? I try to download windows media player for mac and the exact same thing happens to me
:confused:

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to mac as well... been on my new macbook for about two weeks and I had the same .bin issue. Just download and install Stuffit Expander

and the issue will be resolved. Flip4Mac is essential for media files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
OK, I'm new to mac as well... been on my new macbook for about two weeks and I had the same .bin issue. Just download and install Stuffit Expander

and the issue will be resolved. Flip4Mac is essential for media files.

Thanks for the link. This made me realize what my problem was, also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or you can just use an app like EasyWMA to convert the WMA to mp3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.