Mac OSX Tiger / Leopard

eXz

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good data recovery program that can be used on a MacBook Pro that is no longer bootable? A program such as Spinrite for Windows where I can boot off the disc and have it attempt to recover some data?

I have tried Data Rescue II but, I am unable to make a bootable disc of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Make your Mac boot into target disk mode (press T while booting). Then connect it to another mac via a firewire cable. It should mount on the desktop as a separate drive. That should solve your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you tries booting from the set-up DVD that came with your macbook, restart with the DVD in and press the C key while starting up

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What is the exact problem you are having? Because you should be able to do as louishen suggested. Then check to see if your disk is okay using disk utility. If your disk is okay then you have several things you can do. You can do what goobimama suggested to get your data off of your disk. You can do and achive and install. In order to restore your system to working order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
If you are just trying to save some data, then I would go with what the guys have suggested and then reinstall the OS.

Booting into target disk mode is a doddle, and shows your HD as an external HD, so you should be able to trouble shoot easily.

OP
E

eXz

Reaction score
I dont have a problem, its just I would like to now. For Windows there is many bootable CD's to recover data and I think Mac should have one as well.

You should have to own two Macs in order to recover data in my opinion.

I have already done both of the suggested ideas and they work fine, but I am a computer technician and customers don't always have their OS cd's or I don't always have another Mac on hand :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well the limitation here is the HFS format. For instance, if you have MacDrive installed on a PC, you can very well plug your mac into a PC and browse the contents. Also, with Target disk mode, you can actually boot of Mac1 by using Mac2's hardware... very nifty for troubleshooting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I dont have a problem, its just I would like to now. For Windows there is many bootable CD's to recover data and I think Mac should have one as well.

You should have to own two Macs in order to recover data in my opinion.

I have already done both of the suggested ideas and they work fine, but I am a computer technician and customers don't always have their OS cd's or I don't always have another Mac on hand :)

There are several third party tools that do what you're inquiring about. In particular, DiskWarrior is one that I've seen highly recommended. I'm also aware of Tech Tool Pro, but have not seen/used it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.