Best Laptop Cooler

Reaction score
Since heat is 'the' worst enemy of computer components (ok, water too) and I use my new MBP as a replacement to my desktop, I want to keep it as cool as possible. I also play FSX on XP SP3 and those fans get crankin shortly (by the way, I'm using the Nvidia 179.28 Beta driver with good results). In addition to using the SMC Fan Control I want a good laptop cooler. Can anyone recommend one to me? Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
Looking further into MBP cooling I found that most laptop coolers are made for your 'typical' PC laptop which has openings for the fans uptake/exhaust on the bottom of the laptop and work 'mostly' by assisting those fans via the coolers fans. As you all know, the MBP's only have an exhaust along the back hingeline. Laptop coolers with fans wil then only help to cool the bottom of a MBP not assist it's fans with cooling.

Therefore if you buy a laptop cooler it's fans need to be situated at the bottom back half toward the hinge line where most of the heat is produced. Ideally a laptop cooler that perhaps cooled that back half of the MBP 'and' assisted with it's exhaust along the hingeline would be best. Which one would do that I dont know.

Question, if the MBP's exhaust is in the back, where are the air inlet(s)? Are they through the keyboard or speaker openings? The reason I ask is because I, as many people are now doing, use my laptop as a replacement for my desktop and while doing so I have it connected to an external monitor so the laptop is closed while it's running. That may not be a good idea depending on where the air 'inlets' are located. I may be affectively 'choking' off the fresh air supply!

Reaction score
check this out Laptop Cooling Bags and Pads | ThermaPAK.com was featured in CES 2009, i didn't get one as of yet but sounds really COOL. I wonder if some one else tried it already. I was able to spot a seller on eBay and the comment left for one of those that they really works. Cnet.com commented same was as well. price on eBay around $46.00 + shipping

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Question, if the MBP's exhaust is in the back, where are the air inlet(s)? Are they through the keyboard or speaker openings? The reason I ask is because I, as many people are now doing, use my laptop as a replacement for my desktop and while doing so I have it connected to an external monitor so the laptop is closed while it's running. That may not be a good idea depending on where the air 'inlets' are located. I may be affectively 'choking' off the fresh air supply!

MacBook and MacBook Pro machines draw air in via the small openings around the keyboard and the display itself. Both machines, however, are designed to be able to function and cool even with the lid closed. (clamshell mode) Most of the heat dissipation is done through convection - small vents in back, and also the keyboard.

That's why a standard notebook cooler stand really doesn't work all that well for Mac portables. I use one for my Toshiba notebook but it has an entire different method of cooling and exhaust.

What I found to work well for my MacBook is the "Elevator" by Griffin. Take a look here.

Not only does it work well to keep the machine cool, it also provides some protection against those nasty spills that sometimes occur. :(

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.