AppleCare question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm getting an iBook this Christmas, and as it's a present I don't know for sure how much RAM it has. It's either 512 or 768. If it's only 512 I'm almost definitely going to upgrade it to 768 MB or 1.25 GB. Does putting in extra RAM myself void my AppleCare?

M

McGuillicuddy

I think that's misleading. Putting memory in an iBook is dead easy. Follow the instructions and it's really hard to screw it up. Go ahead and add some extra RAM; you won't void your warranty, and you can't really screw it up unless you try.

T

tariq

I just meant that in comparison to the PowerBook. Sure it's easy, but some might be weary of having to remove the keyboard, ae card, shield, etc. to get at it.

I know people that couldn't even get the ram cover open on the PowerBook.

K

keyvan

tariq said:
I just meant that in comparison to the PowerBook. Sure it's easy, but some might be weary of having to remove the keyboard, ae card, shield, etc. to get at it.

I know people that couldn't even get the ram cover open on the PowerBook.

Ive never opened a powerbook, but the ibook is so **** easy to take apart, i opened it up, upgraded the ram to 1.25, upgraded the hd to 80 gb. easy peasy. especially ram .

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
It's not the installation I'm terribly worried about. I've built two PCs from parts before, not one bolt on top of another to start with. :p Adding RAM to a laptop might be tedious, but since it's near the top (from what I hear the HDD is **** to get to on iBooks), it shouldn't be too much trouble for me. Thanks for the info on the warranty. I just don't want to void a 249 dollar "insurance policy". :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.