Will this work? Laptop to desktop?

Reaction score
Hi All,

My much loved macbook has died :(

I've used it as my main machine for the past 5 years and would like to keep using the system..

If I clone the harddisk and stick it in my old Powermac G5 should it just boot straight away?

Alternatively if I add the harddisk as a slave into the machine could I just copy all the documents apps over and it will run as before?

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hi All,

My much loved macbook has died :(

I've used it as my main machine for the past 5 years and would like to keep using the system..
What's the matter with it?

If I clone the harddisk and stick it in my old Powermac G5 should it just boot straight away?
It's unlikely. But really depends on which MacBook you had and which version of OSX was installed.

Alternatively if I add the harddisk as a slave into the machine could I just copy all the documents apps over and it will run as before?
Assuming the hard disk from the MacBook is functional you could connect it in an enclosure or with a USB adapter and transfer the apps/documents over. Though some apps may or may not transfer depending on whether they are support by the OSX version on the powermac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
A drive from the same computer - with the same architecture is bootable - but I doubt you could do the same with a different computer and different architecture. I.E. - I pulled the drive out of my Macbook Pro, put it in an enclosure. If I hit option when booting with that drive connected to my Macbook pro - it shows up as a boot partition. I booted lepoard from that old drive just fine. I doubt I could just plug that into an iMac and have it boot as there would be different drivers - but I've never tried it.

Since you didn't say exactly what Macbook you have - Mactracker shows all Macbooks as Intel type computers - therefore I would say you couldn't boot an intel installed disk with a G5 powerpc computer.

You should be able to see the data on the disk though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.