Problems Reinstalling OS

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I couldn't find any one else having this problem on google or on other forums so here I'll explain what happens to me and look for help anywhere possible.

I have a Macbook Air that some month ago started to run very slow, almost impossible to use for multitask (more than 3 tabs on safari made the beach ball appear every 5 seconds) and several other issues. I don't use it much and with many applications (almost only for web browsing, chatting and so) so I wasn't really bothered until the dock DIED some days ago. Just like that, it disappeared and won't come back, is not hidden or anything, I've tried to bring it back opening the dock.app, on system preferences, restarting it on terminal, and nothing happens.

I've been told that in this case installing everything again from zero could be a good idea, since I didn't have many files to backup, and it was slow anyway.

So the problem comes now. As you know the MBA doesn't come with a DVD drive so I had to attach an external drive that I use on our Imac G5 with no problems. I insert the installing disk and after entering the admin password I hit a "restart" button to continue the installation. The computer restarts but nothing happens afterwards, it restarts ignoring the DVD or the installation application and it launches just like usual. The installation DVD is still on the desktop and I try again, and asks for the pass and restarts again. But nothing happens. I can't "force" it to read the DVD while restarting, I really don't know what to do I have no dock and a really buggy computer that I want to try to fix, but I don't see any way out!

Please if anyone knows what to do I'll be really grateful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you tried holding option as it boots and then selecting the DVD (assuming it appears as an option)

OP
C
Reaction score
No it doesn't work., it didn't work to manually pick it as startup disk either...
Well thanks anyway, I solved it via remote install with my Imac.

Please close this thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.