Imac G4 20 Inch display issues, inverter maybe?

Reaction score
I have been given a 20Inch Imac G4, its very nice.
But there is no display on the screen, I have shone a torch on it and can not see a image when booted up, However I can see the backing light.
Plugging in an external screen works fine so the logic board should be fine (As far as I know)
I have been able to load the install disk to 10.3 using the external screen.
Im only asking because when I search it seems that normally if its a dead inverter there is no backing light on the screen but there is a image but I have the opposite.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys - Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There might be a loose connection on the display, or the display might be gone.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply
Do you think that having the backing light on the screen rules out the inverter?
Ill try to open it up and see if I can move the connections around.

OP
G
Reaction score
I took apart and put back together all of the connections from the motherboard to the neck of the computer.
It didn't change anything.
There is a component on the motherboard that makes some weird sounds after boot up and the back light is on for a little bit. I made a short video of this and showing the screens backing light going out as I turn off the computer.
YouTube - Imac G4 20 inch no display and emmiting noise

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.