New to MAC.. Help!!!

Reaction score
I have been a windows user and I just got my first MAC. I got this G4 with a blank hard drive. I have the os 10 software that I can not install. I put in the cd and get no response from the computer. I expected the G4 to read the CD and walk me through the process. What do I need to do? How can I install the operating system?

Thanks,

Hduverge

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know what Power Mac this is? Also what is the CD? Is the CD machine specific? Do you know what version of OSX it is?

Also just after you push the power button with the OSX disk in the drive you hold down the C key till it starts booting. Does the machine make a chime like sound after you hit the power button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Do you have the CD or DVD version of OSX? If you have the DVD version and are trying to install in a G4 that doesn't have a DVD-ROM, it won't be able to read it. If you have the CD version, then you may have to have the DVD version to get it to work. I have both, but usually the CD version doesn't work with most of the G4 and newer PPC Macs I've worked with. I'm not sure why, but the DVD works just fine.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

The OS is Panther. It's a power MAC g4 the one with the 4 holes on the bottom and the silver plates and a super drive. the OS X disk is a CD not a DVD. I load the cd, hold down the c key as I turn it on and it does not boot up.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Hduverge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
If you have the G4 MDD (sounds like that's what it is from how you described it), I had the same problem with mine. You will need to get a hold of some OSX install DVDs and you should be good to go.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Sub! I have a friend who is MAC "aficionado" who will work with the machine, I will pass on your suggestions and I will post the results.

Enjoy!

Hduverge

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.