Bad news on HDMI Cable Not Working With OS.X Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Apple let me down with my 2009 mbp, used to running hdmi cable to tv without Apple Tv, to mirror on TV.
After installing ML, could not mirror image. Revert to Lion.
On mid 2010 with ML, no problems.

Reaction score
I have a 2009 13" MBP with the same issue.

Is there any way to force the display option to show up on the system menu bar? Before I upgrade to Mountain Lion I used to have an icon up top that would let me mirror my display on my TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you getting an error?

Does it work OK lid shut?

Does anything appear or is it blank?

Have you reset PRAM/SMC?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have googled this topic, some one suggested reset PRAM/SMC, still does not work, no use beating a dead horse.
The mid 2009 mbp cannot be mirrored thru TV with ML, period. Apple wants you to get the Apple TV and
mid 2011 machine or after to do the airplay, simply they want more money from you.
If you are interested in streaming video get a Roku, that will be a better choice. You do not have to
turn on your MBP. That is the way to beat apple greed.
FYI, I have mid 2010 machine only image on tv with ML no audio, what a hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Fair enough.

No restrictions listed here OS X Mountain Lion: Use a television as a display

And my recently upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion 2008/2009 MacBook connects quite happily via HDMI to a 32" LCD TV. Using a third party displayport to HDMI adapter and a £3 HDMI cable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple let me down with my 2009 mbp, used to running hdmi cable to tv without Apple Tv, to mirror on TV.

Are you using GfxCardStatus by chance?

I ran into a similar problem when I was trying to stream the Olympics. What I found was that GfxCardStatus wasn't allowing OS X to switch the way it wanted to in order to mirror the display. Once I shut it down, reboot and left it to its own devices, it mirrored just fine.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
never heard of GfxCardStatus ? how to shut it down ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
never heard of GfxCardStatus ? how to shut it down ?

GfxCardStatus is a third-party utility that allows you to manually control whether you're using the integrated or discrete GPU. If you didn't specifically install it, chances are that's not the problem.

Reaction score
If you are interested in streaming video get a Roku, that will be a better choice. You do not have to
turn on your MBP. That is the way to beat apple greed.
I actually have the Roku XS and use Plex to stream video off my external hard drive (connected to the router) but for certain stuff I need to connect my laptop to the TV. There's no way to bring the AirPlay functionality to the Roku right?

It's rather silly that Apple took away functionality that worked absolutely fine previously. I'm still using a 3rd party Mini DisplayPort to VGA cable and it works fine (my model anyway doesn't support audio over Mini DisplayPort) but I hate the fact that I can no longer switch between mirroring and extended display. I just downloaded AirParrot to see if it helps with mirroring my display on the TV.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be willing to bet that this is nothing more than a bug that will get corrected in a subsequent release. People need to be able to connect things like projectors using HDMI for many reasons, not the least of which is for doing business presentations. AirPlay was intended to supplement, not replace the Mac's abilities to output video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The functionality hasn't been removed.

It has to be a bug or a config/setup issue.

Just tried it again now. Mirroring option is available from the system preferences display panel.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I'd be willing to bet that this is nothing more than a bug that will get corrected in a subsequent release. People need to be able to connect things like projectors using HDMI for many reasons, not the least of which is for doing business presentations. AirPlay was intended to supplement, not replace the Mac's abilities to output video.
your post #5 did help a lot, on my mid 2010 mbp (mountain lion) with audio cable was able to make the audio comes out of tv, on Lion I just have the HDMI cable and audio comes out of tv along with image. this is a great relief.
manu08,
Airplay will only work with ATV. Roku will not work with mbp.
Can Plex play on Roku without PC ?
Airparrot will have to go thru ATV, I believe.
As mrplow indicates as a owner of mid 2009 mbp manages to get mirror image on the TV, that is great.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
The functionality hasn't been removed.

It has to be a bug or a config/setup issue.

Just tried it again now. Mirroring option is available from the system preferences display panel.
At this point I would put off installing ML on my mid 2009 mbp and make sure my ml on mid 2010 mbp stable.

Reaction score
Guys, can anyone pls help me out with the same problem of everyone below; can't connect my MBP (mid 2009) anymore with HDMI cable to my TV after having updated to Mountain Lion. I've updated ML just a week ago (app store update beginning of October 2012), but no solution was offered (the Config menu for displays seem to even show less options than on my previous OS (Snow Leopard).

Help! Anyone?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
nielsdutchy,
did you upgrade to 10.8.2 ML ? Early ML 10.8 has problem with (mid 2009) machine with HDMI to TV, should be fine with yours too.
How are yours set up ? with mini display adapter to HDMI cable to TV ?

Reaction score
nielsdutchy,
did you upgrade to 10.8.2 ML ? Early ML 10.8 has problem with (mid 2009) machine with HDMI to TV, should be fine with yours too.
How are yours set up ? with mini display adapter to HDMI cable to TV ?

Hi jcl1688.

Yes, I'm running 10.8.2 (12C60) - latest one available. When I bought my MBP in mid 2009 I also bought an adapter (one that fits those apple ports) + HDMI cable at the same iMac store (weren't even cheap), and frankly they worked fine for 3 years. I don't seem to find that icon that I could find previously, was it moved to somewhere else in the config menu perhaps? Am I overlooking something (else)?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
nielsdutch,
hook up the hdmi cable to TV and on your mbp > system preference > hardware > display >
check box with show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.
the mirror monitor box will show on the menu bar (top of you screen), click on that icon should get you going.

Reaction score
nielsdutch,
hook up the hdmi cable to TV and on your mbp > system preference > hardware > display >
check box with show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.
the mirror monitor box will show on the menu bar (top of you screen), click on that icon should get you going.

There's only two round boxes to check (above) and 2 square ones (middle and bottom) that don't mention anything about mirroring. The previous software did!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
There's only two round boxes to check (above) and 2 square ones (middle and bottom) that don't mention anything about mirroring. The previous software did!
I am not sure what you mean by 2 round and 2 square boxes, it should be an icon on top screen, just like bluetooth icon, volume icon etc when hook up with tv and mbp; when tv and mbp both turned on, click the mirror icon on your mbp, the image of mbp should be in sync with tv.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
niels - that omni-present bar at the top of your screen is the Menu Bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.