Passbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hi All -

Are there directions on using Passbook? When I access the App, I get a message that says "Could not connect to the iTunes Store."

Is this because of some issue in my phone (4S) or because the App is not ready to go yet?

Thanks-
Rich

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I access the app, I'm allowed to hit the App store which shows apps that are Passbook-aware. I downloaded the Target app and then registered for coupons. Once the coupons were available, I could add them to Passbook and next time I visit Target I could have them scan the coupon directly from Passbook..

C

chas_m

Passbook does not work like you might expect (and ought to say so on that opening screen). It just stores digital documents that qualify automatically. Buy a ticket from Fandango and you'll see what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The only one I am offered is Lufthansa.

Not very useful. Presumably this is really USA only - or maybe just too new to be of much help yet?

C

chas_m

It's not USA only -- works just fine here in Canada. Do you have a Starbucks loyalty card where you are? Walk into a Starbucks and see if a coupon doesn't appear. Or buy a ticket from Lufthansa and request a boarding pass.

You might also try (if you have a QR code-reading application like RedLaser) scanning a QR code for a coupon: that might be enough to trigger Passbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Odd. I'm having the same problem as the OP. I thought Apple simply hadn't launched the apps for Passbook yet. Hmmmm...

Found the fix. I'm not getting the Store connection error anymore, although it is just hanging there for me with the spinner stuck on "Loading".
Cannot connect to iTunes store

EDIT: it finally stopped hanging. Looks like it's working now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I may as well throw this tip out there. There's a website that will let you create your own custom Passbook passes to hold you over until the retailer supports it directly.
PassSource - Create Passbook passes and Manage your own custom Apple iOS 6 Passbook PassKit passes for free for your iPhone

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read their FAQ and found that once they are past the beta period, there will be a monthly fee to use this. Bleah! Also, the one card I just made through them is in my Passbook, but I can't get back to PB's main screen. Bizarre. I had to delete the pass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Passbook is working well in the Airports with Boarding Passes here in Australia. Before PB i would have a boarding pass on my iP4s but it wouldnt scan. No i just hand over to the hostess and its scans ok now. It doesnt pop up as i walk into the Terminal though as Promised by Tim though :(

Reaction score
I'm sure more apps will be Passbook friendly in the coming months. I know that several large chain grocery stores here in the U.S. have digital coupons and I expect to start seeing them making passbook friendly apps.

Reaction score
I have tried to the date "work around" and it still tells me it can't connect to itunes. Then I change the date back to original date and now it is just hanging there with the spinner stuck on loading.

I tried resetting my phone; syncing my phone, restarting the apps.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I wish the Passbook app would replace all the stupid store reward cards I have in my wallet. Its the perfect app for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.