Trying to mount OSX 10.6 on Windows - is this possible?

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade to OSX 10.6 but my Mac Mini's DVD drive failed on me and I can't get another until Wednesday next week. I also don't have access to another Mac.

Is there a way I can mount the installation media OSX install partition on a Windows 7 PC?

If I mount the disk on Windows 7 I see two applications in the \DVDCDSharing folder:

RemoteInstallMaxOSX.exe

At first I tried running the RemoteInstallMaxOSX.exe application which will apparently allow me to mount the DVD's OSX partition on Windows.

My Mac when booted whilst holding down the Alt/Option button should then see this over the network. I it but I only ever get the HDD icon to click on. I also tried to configure the Mac for network boot and it just sat there for a while flashing a grey globe on a white background, then it booted OSX from the disk.

I did try turning off Windows Firewall just in case, but still no joy.

DVDCDSharingSetup.exe

I then tried installing the DVDCDSharingSetup.exe application on my win7 box but I'm at a loss as to how to get my Mini to see OSX disk (I can browse other shares on the Windows 7 PC).

If I could get this to work then could copy the files to a 16GB USB stick I have with a Mac extended partition ready to use and boot from that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Kevin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.