Win7 IP address goofy in VM ware

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have identical copies of Windows 7 Ultimate running on a PC and in VM Fusion (3.1.1) on my MacBook Pro (10.6.4). They are connected via an Airport Extreme (IP address 10.0.1.1).

I wasn't having any luck networking them so I checked the IP addresses on both. The PC was 10.0.1.2 and the MBP was 10.0.1.3 (makes sense). However, interestingly enough, the IP address of the VM Ware instance of Win7 was 192.168.168.136.

Any clues why they are so different and any ideas how to get them back on the same subnet so they can talk? I suspect I can just force Win to a static address but I hate forcing things...and I'm not sure exactly how...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of networking are you running in VMWare? There is something like 3 ways to run. There is bridged(or NAT), shared, and host only. (There may be one or two more) Anyway what you have for an IP - it looks like you are running bridged. This means that there is a private network running between the Mac and the Virtual Machine. If you want it to have a 10.0.1.255 subnet mask then you should try shared.
See this article
VMware Communities: Understanding Networking in VMware Fusion

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
What type of networking are you running in VMWare? There is something like 3 ways to run. There is bridged(or NAT), shared, and host only. (There may be one or two more) Anyway what you have for an IP - it looks like you are running bridged. This means that there is a private network running between the Mac and the Virtual Machine. If you want it to have a 10.0.1.255 subnet mask then you should try shared.
See this article
VMware Communities: Understanding Networking in VMware Fusion

I have no clue...but I'll read the link. Thanks!

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.