Print servers

Reaction score
I have just bought a 1.66 mini, and am totally blow away by it, i have however still got a windows desktop and laptop on a wired network that has two printers running through the desktop.

I want to add a print server and i dont know if this is possible or if there are some that work better with Macs than others.

Any advice??

Reaction score
I suggest trying this before buying anything.

The first thing you should do is go to the control panel on your WinXP computer and (assuming you are in the classic view) click on "Printers and Faxes" and then click on the printer you want to share. You should then see an option along the side that says "Share this printer", click on it.

Then on you mac go into System Preferences, click on Print and Fax, then in the new window that opens click on the "+" sign to add a new printer. Another new window should open this time go down to the bottom and click "More Printers". This should open the Printer Browser. Now in the top drop-down menu select Windows printing. The other drop down menu should be something like "Network Neighbourhood". In the book below the menus you should now see the name of your network workgroup. Highlight it and press choose. Then select the name of the computer which is connected to the printer and hit choose again.

Now comes the fun part. Highlight the printer and go to the bottom drop-down list and try and find the printer model which matches your own. I said this was the fun part because when I set my printer up it's model wasn't listed so I had to try quite a few different ones before I found one that worked. After you have selected your printer model simply click add and you should be done.

Credit to Marc Pituley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to appropriate networking forum.

OP
W
Reaction score
hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.....

I have tried that and it works with limited functionality and has a tendancy to tie up the Win machine, one of the reasons for a print server is that i can use the mac and someone else can use the win and be able to access all the printers at the same time.

The Mac i use for business use the xp machines are used by the rest of the family we have a konica minolta and HP printers on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If you don't mind running an Ethernet cable, the D-Link DP-301U is a good solution.

I have two of these: one is connected to a Samsung laser printer, the other to an Epson Inkjet all-in-one. I can print to both of these from any of my Macs or PCs. They work great.

Hope this helps!

OP
W
Reaction score
If you don't mind running an Ethernet cable, the D-Link DP-301U is a good solution.

I have two of these: one is connected to a Samsung laser printer, the other to an Epson Inkjet all-in-one. I can print to both of these from any of my Macs or PCs. They work great.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion i will give it a try

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.