HELP: new purchase needed but what ?

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I’m brand new to the forums and would love some advice. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Embarrassed.png

The back ground: I’m an Art Teacher and I’ve spend the last 5 years working on videos, and building websites using the usual iweb, I Photo, and iMovie software. I was devastated when iweb was made obsolete. MY white 180gb MacBook is now full and the operating system hideously out-dated. So we need a new Mack book with all the usual soft wear.

Here’s the problem: Money is tight and I need Office + the abode creative suite. We get a good deal when we buy it with a new mac but the mac book pro is a little out of our price range. Could I use the new Mac book Air 256gb computer and link it up to a networked hard drive? Would the Air still have the processing power to run all the things I want and would an external (none cable- networked) hard drive make up for the lack of space?

What are the benefits of wireless external hard drives vs. networked routers with an external hard drive. And what set up do you have and do you have any recommendations regarding routers?

All testing stuff?
Any Ideas any one?
Paul

Reaction score
Yes, it will work with networked drives.
For those purposes i would suggest a retina MacBook Pro with a little extra RAM:p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Paul...welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

If you don't mind my saying...you covered a lot of ground in your posting. Why don't we cover one thing at a time...and stick with what computer fits both your needs & budget.:)

But before we do that (because I'm a frugal guy)...why do you think that your old MacBook cannot still continue to get the job done? Depending on your reasons...we may or may not still be able to squeeze a bit more use out of it.:)

It would help if you told us exactly what model MacBook it is (cpu speed, amount of ram, OS version it is running).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully Paul is still monitoring our forums since his post was made last year in October. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A couple of things:

1) First of all, I agree with Nick. We need more info. In particular your current workflow would help. How are you storing 5 years of video creation on a 180GB internal drive?
2) Please drop the colored font and use black (much easier to read)
3) Also would help to know your budget limits, and what you feel is lacking with your current setup
4) List of programs and versions you are using (software)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hopefully Paul is still monitoring our forums since his post was made last year in October. ;)

LOL
:D

I just woke up from a nap and am still sleepy, never noticed the original post date . . . ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

CRAP…I hate when that happens!!!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.