Software recommendation or Excel help.

Reaction score
I begin grad school (GO BLUE!) in two weeks. My parents paid for my undergrad and I am now responsible for my grad program expenses. I am taking loans out and am looking for a good way to track all of my educational expenses. Ideally, I would like to keep a database with information about my different purchases and was hoping to be able to include receipts in the database for the corresponding expenses for easy access. Is there a good program, preferably free, that would allow me to do this?

If not, is there some way I can do this in either Excel or Numbers? I really want to be able to link the receipts and other information to the payments, and am fairly comfortable with Excel, because I am studying accounting, but do not know how to do this. Thanks in advance!

Phil

OP
P
Reaction score
*Update- I found out that I can create hyperlinks to documents but they hyperlinks are no longer available if said file moves to a new location. I am looking for a way to embed the file into the database or spreadsheet. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I believe a link can be to a local file. So perhaps create a directory structure with the Excel file at the top level, and subfolders with different types of documents and link to those. Then remember never to move those files. It might be possible to globally change the links if needed in the future.

Of course a proper database would be the best path. For a free one look into something like Open Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Perhaps look at DevonThink Pro.

Reaction score
Instead of Open Office you might try NeoOffice (same thing but runs better). It handles Excel documents and has a built-in database.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
NeoOffice works very well and has all the apps that MS Office does, and it's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.