New Macbook Pro Second Monitor Problem

Reaction score
Ok so I am having a little problem. I upgraded to the new macbook pro from the original white macbook and am running to an issue with connecting my LCD tv. with my old macbook i connected my 32" Toshiba LCD with a mini div to dvi adapter and a dvi to hdmi going from the adapter to the tv. with that set up i never had any problems the settings always automatically adjusted and to put it simple just worked. with the new mac i tried running that same setup mini video to dvi then the dvi to hdmi from the pro to the tv but could never get the screen to fit right. i then tried to use a mini video to vga and vga cable from the pro to the TV. I am able to get the screen to fit but there is still a problem. the screen will break into squares occasionally get pixelated. I need some help as to what could be causing this or if there is a better setup i could be running.

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it was already up to date and I'm still having the problem. It's in the upper right hand corner of the LCD a rectangle gets sorted of shaped out and cuts off. I don't know if its my TV or the adapter or what because i never had this problem with my old Macbook. Its frustrating!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a similiar problem with trying to use an extended/second monitor.

The firmware update says it's for OS X 10.5.6 and I'm on an older Macbook running 10.4.11 so I don't think that can help me.

Anyway, here's what's going on. I'm trying to connect my Macbook to a Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ LCD monitor. The connection is VGA from the monitor to the VGA-to-Mini-DVI adapter to the Macbook. I know the hookup is fine because I tried this same setup with my ancient CRT monitor and it worked great (naturally...). When I connect it here I get what looks like moving horizontal lines all over the screen. I went out earlier for a while and came home and tried it again and the picture was clear for about 2 minutes but then the lines came back. Just now I turned it off for 5 minutes and same thing pretty much except the lines came back much faster.

If I turn the monitor on without being hooked up, there's a blue screen and a "no signal" message the moves around but no lines (in other words, everything looks fine with the monitor picture itself).

Any ideas, any fixes? Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.