build an Intel mac from a G4 iMac

Reaction score
I can't in any way dispose of my great looking G4 iMac.

But it's useless!

Is there any way I can use my average computer skills to build a modern intel mac out of it?

I know it would require replacing everything and it would be cheeper to just buy a new mac but it's about what it looks like.

Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why you say your G4 iMac is useless? There are lots of folks who still use the same machine and are happy with it. Why not fork out the money for a new iMac and keep the G4 too? I'm not even sure it would be possible to refit a G4 with everything that would be needed to turn it into an Intel machine. And it would cost $$$!

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not even sure it would be possible to refit a G4 with everything that would be needed to turn it into an Intel machine. And it would cost $$$!
I agree. The cost of even attempting to upgrade that machine to an Intel architecture (which I doubt is even possible) would cost more than getting a new machine. Have you considered getting a Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
A project like this is impractical, expensive, and difficult, but it would be so cool to do.

I have thought about doing this with my G4 iMac and have done a lot of research into it. It certainly is possible to fit all the components into the base of the iMac, although the ports wouldn't line up correctly. The major problem, and the reason why no one has done it that I know of, is the screen. More specifically, the wiring. The display on the iMac uses a proprietary connector and wiring setup. Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to adapt the wiring to any standard DVI or VGA plug. Furthermore, even if you were to replace the wiring and the screen, the opening in the neck is far too small to run a cable through. Further-furthermore, the neck is impossible to disassemble without a special tool, and even then it will never be the same once put back together.

It's an awesome idea and I would love it if someone could figure it all out and get it to work, but it would take a great deal of knowledge and time, and isn't something I would want to try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.