Can't get 802.11 enabled on iMac5,1 for Airport Express

Reaction score
Hi. My wife has an iMac5,1 (MA589LL) -- specs here:

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 20-Inch Specs (Late 2006, MA589LL, N/A, iMac5,1) @ EveryMac.com

We've got an Airport Express on our network within range of this iMac; I've confirmed with Airport Utility that it is running 802.11n (in g/n compatibility mode). Cannot for the life of me figure out how to enable 802.11n on the Airport in the iMac, and Google (which is normally my friend) has only given me vague pointers which haven't worked.

The everymac link suggests that I am indeed running a computer that has N capabilities. Googling suggests that Snow Leopard (which we're running) should enable N by default without the old Airport 802.11n enabler. Network utility confirms that the card is running only in a/b/g mode and doesn't offer any way to change that. I stupidly paid for and downloaded the enabler before I read all the fine print, as well as Airport Extreme Update 2008_04, and neither of these would install. The former because the volume was not compatible, the latter because it wanted me to be running Leopard 10.5.5.

Don't know what to look for. I know that in an ideal world I should give you more symptoms; but at this stage, I'm just confused. My understanding is that the hardware's there and that Snow Leo should have enabled it, but since it hasn't, and there's no box to tick, I'm not sure where to turn next or how to sniff out the problem.

I'd like to have it enabled so that I can stream video from another mac in the house. G is a bit too buffer-y.

Help, anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.