HELP!! New Mac User! External HD question ??

YaZ

Reaction score
Hi All, Im a new iBook user (recently changed from Windows) which I receieved as a gift, and i noticed the option to have a Firewire External HD !!! I am currently using a USB External HD, but my question is :-

IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE A FIREWIRE CABLE INSTEAD OF THE USB CABLE THAT CAME WITH IT ??? IF I FIND THE CABLE, WILL MY iBOOK RECOGNIZE IT??

The reason for asking this is due to the speed that the USB writes to my HD (a bit slow). However, i noticed that Firewire transfers speeds up to 400MB per sec !! THAT is PERFECT!!!!!

Answers appreciated !!
Cheers!
YaZ!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You need an external HDD that actually has a Firewire port. It's not a simple case of buying an adapter.

OP
YaZ

YaZ

Reaction score
Okay,, cheers !!

So does that mean the external HDD is Firewire to Firewire ??? In other words, the port on the HDD is Firewire and my iBook port is Firewire ?? !!

Sorry if im being a pain, but the cable i use for my current USB HDD is the same cable used for a USB printer !!! Wont i be able to find such a cable ??

Cheers !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
if your external hard disk has a firewire port, then you can connect it to the macbook with a firewire cable, it's that simple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.