Boot Camp Hard Drive Partition Problem

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the forms. I used bootcamp to install a 32GB (to retain the FAT32) partition on the drive. When, however, I reboot into the Windows XP Home installation screen, only one option appears in the drive selection and it's a 130GB hard drive. The total size of my drive is 250GB and the partition should be 32GB. Where does this come in? And also, there is no "BOOT CAMP" hard drive partition name like the manual says there should be. I've already tried using the bootcamp restore feature and repartitioning the drive in different sizes but Windows still says the same.

Any ideas?! Thanks all!

~joel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello all,

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the forms. I used bootcamp to install a 32GB (to retain the FAT32) partition on the drive. When, however, I reboot into the Windows XP Home installation screen, only one option appears in the drive selection and it's a 130GB hard drive. The total size of my drive is 250GB and the partition should be 32GB. Where does this come in? And also, there is no "BOOT CAMP" hard drive partition name like the manual says there should be. I've already tried using the bootcamp restore feature and repartitioning the drive in different sizes but Windows still says the same.

Any ideas?! Thanks all!

~joel

Certainly is a weird one. :( Anyway, try restoring the HD back to OS X again by running the Boot Camp assistant and select restore. That will get you back to square one.

Next, instead of re-creating another Boot Camp partition, boot the machine with your install disk and run Disk Utilities direct from the DVD. Check and verify the hard drive and allow any errors to be corrected. After that, reboot normally and get back into OS X.

Create another partition for XP Home using the Boot Camp assistant and try installing XP again as per Boot Camp instructions.

By the way, I'm assuming you're using a single full install XP Home SP2 CD and not a Windows XP OEM restore CD or a branded OEM CD. :)

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I can try that, but keep in mind this thing is brand new. Would there really be hard drive problems on a two-day old Macbook? It's the Black 2.4 Ghz, 2GB ram, 250GB hard drive. Seems like it should work fine!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

~Joel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I can try that, but keep in mind this thing is brand new. Would there really be hard drive problems on a two-day old Macbook? It's the Black 2.4 Ghz, 2GB ram, 250GB hard drive. Seems like it should work fine!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

~Joel

It does seem unlikely a brand new machine would have hard drive problems. However, it certainly won't do any harm to run the disk utility from your Leopard install disk. If you still run into difficulties after doing what I suggested, and you are sure you're following the Boot Camp instructions properly, it might be best to take the machine back and let an Apple tech look at it.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.