Problem with Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi, I have a new Macbook with leopard on it. I put XP on a 12g partition through bootcamp. The problem, i think, is a result of not having the Leopard install CD (why they didn't give it to me with my mac I don't know, or why I didn't think to ask for it I also don't know)

Anyways Windows XP runs ok but I'm missing some drivers. I downloaded some torrents but they didn't seem to work. I've gone into more info about this mac, found the video card I have and found a driver for that BUT the audio does not work in XP. Whats more the headphone jack has a red light coming from it. I need to find a driver to make the audio work. For Audio my mac says it has "Intel High Definition Audio" any idea where to get the needed driver?

C

chas_m

One solution to this problem: spend $29 and get a Snow Leopard disc. Upgrade to Snow Leopard, then re-set up Windows XP using the up-to-date Boot Camp and Apple-supplied drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
You can download the Boot Camp drivers from here:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Boot Camp - Windows XP Drivers Update 2.1

Although this is labeled as an update, there is a disclaimer that it contains the full driver distribution.
This is a great suggestion. Far better than spending the money for a disc with outdated drivers. I just talked to a friend doing a re-install and the drivers on his two week old OS X Snow Leopard disc that came with his new mac, had the old version 2.0 drivers. So he ended up having to update them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is a great suggestion. Far better than spending the money for a disc with outdated drivers. I just talked to a friend doing a re-install and the drivers on his two week old OS X Snow Leopard disc that came with his new mac, had the old version 2.0 drivers. So he ended up having to update them.

That's interesting, because there are two separate and distinct versions of Boot Camp. 2.x, which was included with Leopard and 3.x, which is an included feature with Snow Leopard. Once the base driver package is installed, one can update Boot Camp to the latest revision (of their version) using the Apple Software Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
That's interesting, because there are two separate and distinct versions of Boot Camp. 2.x, which was included with Leopard and 3.x, which is an included feature with Snow Leopard. Once the base driver package is installed, one can update Boot Camp to the latest revision (of their version) using the Apple Software Update.
Well we were on the phone as he lives 300 miles from me. Perhaps I got the version number wrong. What I do know is that he said after the install his drivers were not as new as offered on the site. Thanks for the update on that. I enjoy learning all the latest.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm... the "update" for bootcamp is 2.1, but I set up XP using bootcamp 2.0 and the .exe file did not help me in XP.

I really just need a driver to make my sound card be read in XP. I have Intel High Definition Audio: Device ID: 0x10DECB79

Also I want the touch pad to work like it does in OS X in XP, is there a way to do that? I love the 2 finger scroll down.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have a friend with the Snow Leopard install CD. I'm assuming that it won't let me put it on my mac as she already did but would the drivers still work? Can I use the drivers off SL to make my XP in bootcamp 2.0 work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.