Problem with external keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,

Im using MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard) with external keyboard and I have a big problem. It seems that the OS doesnt recognize the key with symbols < and >. Im also using Windows over Parallels so that key should be also for the symbol | (alt gr + <). Instead of < and >, I get ^ and °. What to do?

Im using german keyboard.

Cheers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you running a US copy of Windows as a VM in a US copy of Parallels with a German keyboard? Please provide details.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you running a US copy of Windows as a VM in a US copy of Parallels with a German keyboard? Please provide details.

Im running a US copy of Windows with German copy of Parallels. And German keyboard.

The key doesnt work even on Mac alone, without Parallels (it gives ^ and ° instead of < and >).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. You're going to need to either get everything German or US not a mix of both. There may be a way of remapping the keyboard, but to be honest, it may cause more problems than it's worth.

OP
M
Reaction score
wanecors opposite,

OK, I understand. You're going to need to either get everything German or US not a mix of both. There may be a way of remapping the keyboard, but to be honest, it may cause more problems than it's worth.

But the keyboard doesn't work even on Mac alone. Does it mean that I can't use German keyboard on English version of OS X? Cause, again, if you forget about Parallels, it still doesn't work as it should.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I should have asked first: What kind of German keyboard are you using? Is it an Apple keyboard (Aluminum or blue tooth) or just an ordinary USB model?

The reason I ask is because an Apple keyboard should work regardless of the language. The mapping would be different, but it should work. I can't say the same for other keyboards though.

OP
M
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked first: What kind of German keyboard are you using? Is it an Apple keyboard (Aluminum or blue tooth) or just an ordinary USB model?

The reason I ask is because an Apple keyboard should work regardless of the language. The mapping would be different, but it should work. I can't say the same for other keyboards though.

No, it's not Apple keyboard, it's called Cherry and it's a tipical Windows keyboard. Everything is working normally, but that key...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's kind of what I suspected. A German Apple keyboard is what you really need to get full compatibility. Maybe you can remap the "Cherry" keyboard although that may prevent it from working correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.