More Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

A further question about memory upgrade for intel core 2 duo 2.16g iMac.

I want to up the memory on my iMac from the standard 1gig to 3gig, in order to run either Parallels or Fusion. I have decided where to buy from with the help given in my last post....however, I have just read on the web that I will loose the benefit of having a dual channel processor if I don't install memory in matching pairs. Does this mean that if I install 3gig (1x1g & 1x2g) that this will be the case?...do I need to be limiting the memory to 2gig (2x1g).

Also, do I need 3gig to run a VM with ease or should 2gig be fine.

Many thanks.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
from what ive heared 2gb is fine but it depends on what tasks you will be doing in windows if they are highly intensive then you should go for 3gb, what will you be doing with it? In regards to the dual core yes it does run faster with matching pairs but the upgrade from 2gb to 3gb is still worth. You will see less of a speed increase from 2gb to 3gb than from 1gb to 2gb but there will be one still...... PM me if you'd like further info ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
I would go to 3gb of ram since ram is dirt cheap now. It will be worth the money in the long run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
You will be fine. In my 2.16 iMac I have 1x1 and 1x512 and run Windows all day. If you really really need more memory then go to 3 (1x2 and 1x1). In my 2.4 Aluminum I have 3 gig and run windows all day doing desktop. Paired memory IMO is necessary if you pound your machine with video or photoshop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.