advice required please

Reaction score
my cousin dropped his 15 macbook pro off yesterday, said it had died and went about his business :( . because i'm the pc techy in the family i get all the jobs. after powering up the mac to just a grey screen with the folder and question mark scenario i put his disk one of tiger in the drive and restarted holding "c" key down but to no avail so after reading around a little i rebooted holding the option key down but all that happens then is the cursor appears and nothing else ? i'm suspecting that the drive is d.o.a so what i'm thinking is buy him a new seagate 320 gb sata 7200 to pop in but do i have to format the drive in any way to get the mac booting from the c key press ? also i have read that when you turn a mac on u get a sound a bit like post on pc but there is no sound from this one at the point of turning it on ? any advice for some one who knows very little about macs would be gr8 :D

p.s all i know is there is 2gb ram and a hitachi 160gb hdd in there dont know what cpu is in there ?

OP
C
Reaction score
no replies yet ? i know im a pc techy but i was told this is the place to be u know creme de la creme of mac sites

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you might have a bad disc or optical drive.

When you hold down the option key at startup (note that you must do this as soon as you turn the machine on), it should show all bootable devices. If it doesn't it's either having a hard time reading the disc or it's not reading at all.

OP
C
Reaction score
i have an external dvd rom if i attach that would the shift key combo still work ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have an external dvd rom if i attach that would the shift key combo still work ?

In my experience, yes, it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.