SSD MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I am contemplating adding an SSD to my late 2011 2.2 Ghz quad core 1.7 MBP. I am looking at the crucial 512 gig or the SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 gig ssd's. Other than the 32 gig size difference ca anyone tell me the difference between these two drives and if one is better than the other?

I already have upgraded to the 8 gig max (apple spec) max. I often run parallels and mac apps at the same time working with large spreadsheets and pretty intense graphic editing.

Reaction score
I have a mid 2011 MBP 13, i added the 8gb RAM from crucial and i also fitted a crucial M4 256gb SSD and it has transformed the mac, it was not slow at all before but now it boots in about 10 seconds and everything is just instant at loading. I cannot comment on the differences between the 2 drives you are looking at but i can say that SSD makes a huge difference imo.

Laughjimbo

OP
K
Reaction score
Which SSD?

I am contemplating adding an SSD to my late 2011 2.2 Ghz quad core 1.7 MBP. I am looking at the crucial 512 gig or the SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 gig ssd's. Other than the 32 gig size difference ca anyone tell me the difference between these two drives and if one is better than the other?

I already have upgraded to the 8 gig max (apple spec) max. I often run parallels and mac apps at the same time working with large spreadsheets and pretty intense graphic editing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Crucial M4 256GB in my 15" MBP (2GHz, i7, 8GB) and it's been phenomenal, particularly since it supports SATA 3G and TRIM (you do have to enable this manually).

I can't really comment on the SanDisk unit - but the Crucial SSDs are very well rated and they are easy to update the firmware on (some SSDs only come with utilities to do so via Windows). Crucial has always been a firm supporter of the Mac, so you needn't worry about support issues.

I paid about $350 for the 256GB in December of last year - that same unit occasionally dips below $200 on Amazon nowadays - and the 512GB is darn near what I paid for the 256GB at this point. I'm seriously considering trading up and moving the 256GB to my desktop/gaming PC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went ahead and merged your duplicate threads - please don't crosspost.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.