best powerbook set up

W

Wally

Hey , im new to the forum and am currently using a new dell inspiron 700m pc notebook.

I know im going to switch to a mac because next year ill be heading to college and want a more stable pc along with the student discount plus im kinda fed up with all the crap that is associated with pcs.

Im know im going to buy a powerbook g4 probably a 15" and was wondering what the best set up is for the money, in terms of where to buy, apple care, ram, HD, etc.. im looking for the best possible configuration for the least amount of money though i know i want atleast 1 gig of ram and a 1.67 processor with 126 VDRam..

any suggestions would be nice along with the good and bad things associated with the new powerbook g4s,

thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mate im yet to find a store/site that sells them cheaper than apple with the discount :(

As for spec the one you have said that you want will be more than enough, but get the ram else where and install it your self, it doesnt kill off the warrenty either ;)

OP
W

Wally

should i get the minimal amount of ram then buy elsewhere, whats the most amount of ram in one dimm and what exactly is the best "ram" out there?

thanks man

Reaction score
If you buy your own RAM later on and install it yourself, then it will void your basic 1 Year Warranty. And also i think it will void AppleCare. I recommend you just get 512MB RAM and then later on if you require more, upgrade.

OP
M

menace3054

shaun89 said:
If you buy your own RAM later on and install it yourself, then it will void your basic 1 Year Warranty. And also i think it will void AppleCare. I recommend you just get 512MB RAM and then later on if you require more, upgrade.

that is 100% not true. installing additional ram is one of the few things apple lets you do that actually does not void the warranty. apple charges like 700 for a 1gb upgrade, whereas you can get the 1gb chip from most places for around 200-250. I would definately get apple care, and buy additional ram. are you going to be taking this to class? if so, id look at the 12" model, as it is very portable. you can always get a monitor to use when your at home so that you dont have to use the small screen

OP
J

jessica

shaun89 said:

I believe that you are very wrong about the warranty being voided. If this is the case then I was seriously mislead by three employees (at the G-Bar), one store manager, and two telephone associates at apple.com. When I said, "can I buy extra ram after i get the pbook and put it in myself." they said, "of course, there are instructions on how to do this in the manual."

Seems like we'd be a bunch of fools if we voided our warranties by installing additional memory while using apple's own manual to guide us.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if you are right then maybe you can show us where it says that in the warranty. If not, then hopefully we can work together to avoid any mis-information.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

I just ordered from the applestore online, and I chose to just upgrade to 1gig then and there. Why? Because the price on the ram (w/ student discount) was $135. Crucials extra 512 stick was about $122... so based on trusted brands, it seemed that the minimal savings were nill.

Now if you were going to buy a couple of 1gig sticks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.