how to transfer application files to external HD

Reaction score
OK. I bought a 80GB external HD, partition it to 20gb n 60gb.

My usage for this external HD is mainly for temp transfer data to 20gb and keep iphotos images & itunes songs to the balance 60gb.

Q1) Is all the application i.e iphoto, itunes to install in the main harddisk (imac) and the folder that keep the photos and songs we move it to the external HD?

Q2) if we use iphoto or itunes, then we have to conect the external HD so it can read or save the new photos or songs in the external HD?

Advise needed........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Crikey.

Well, the actual application (iTunes, iPhoto etc) should be on the primary hdd on your machine. That is, not the external drive.

However, the media can be kept on external drives. Now in iTunes, you can import files without actually copying the files to the local drive. With iPhoto I am not sure if that is possible, or if it insists on the files being copied over locally (maybe someone can answer that).

I generally use external drives as backup or to store files I only need occasionally. All my iTunes stuff is backed up to external drives and deleted on my local dive, because if I really want to listen to music on my MacBook I just plug in my iPOD.

Q1) Is all the application i.e iphoto, itunes to install in the main harddisk (imac) and the folder that keep the photos and songs we move it to the external HD? I'd keep the application folder and the folders it expects to be on your local HDD (that is Music, Photos etc) where they are and just move the actual files to the external disk to back up.

Q2) if we use iphoto or itunes, then we have to conect the external HD so it can read or save the new photos or songs in the external HD? Assuming you deleted them locally, yes you would. Also, you'd have to tell the application where to find the media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Crikey.
Well, the actual application (iTunes, iPhoto etc) should be on the primary hdd on your machine. That is, not the external drive.

Why not? It works just fine. Programs like Carbon Copy Cloner or SilverKeeper can copy the contents of the entire drive to an external Firewire drive and you could even set it as your start-up drive, running the OS, apps and everything else off it.
The whole system will be considerably even, if you run it off an external drive spinning at 7200 rpm, as opposed to an internal 4200 rpm drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Why the **** not? It works just fine. Programs like Carbon Copy Cloner or SilverKeeper can copy the contents of the entire drive to an external Firewire drive and you could even set it as your start-up drive, running the OS, apps and everything else off it.
The whole system will be considerably even, if you run it off an external drive spinning at 7200 rpm, as opposed to an internal 4200 rpm drive.

1st of all I am just expressing an opinion, so calm down.

It does depend on what drive the person already has...but generally speaking, internal hdds are faster for loading applications. Disc drive spin speed isn't the only thing that affects performance.

I agree that a modern USB 2.0 or Firewire hdd @ 7200rpm is probably better overall than an internal 4200rpm drive.

Having said that, I don't know if the poster wants to have an external HDD connected all the time, but may need access to the apps even when the hdd is not attached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
isn't firewire faster thatn usb 2.0?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
On paper usb 2.0 is faster than firewire 1.0. But in real use firewire 1.0 throughput is faster than usb 2.0.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
well, thanks for all the reply.

Ok, actutally my question raised is because I don't want my Mac to slow now for keeping too many photos, songs, etc...

As I just reformat/reinstall my mac to its original and update to OSX10.1.5 with iphoto and itune application folder 'empty' and its work really smooth while I play Diablo 2 game (which was SUCK!! before i reformat/reinstall with all folders, files <photos, songs etc, all loacted at the main hard disk).

Now my thinking is, since I bought an external HD then I keep all images, songs over to the external HD (its should solve the problem for cozing game lagging while playing).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.