I was bullied into it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
Well kind of bullied into it my pc laptop crapped out on me and I didn't have cash on hand for a replacement. So my mother, being the kind soul that she is told me I could buy a new one on her best buy charge as long as i payed it off promptly.

So I go and pick her up and we drive to best buy and she makes a bee line for the apple area. I tell her no way I'm not spending all that money on a computer an argument ensues, needless to say I had to have a computer and she wasn't going to allow a pc to be charged on her account. So me being cheap grab the cheapest one a mac book this starts another argument about the benefits of the pro, so needless to say she one that one to.

So in the end i i got a mac book pro with the i5 processor and I have to say that it is the most well put together laptop i have ever owned. I'm still triing to wrap my hands OSX but I seem to be figuring it out.

I just thought some of you would get a kick out of story of my forced conversion to the Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well...you don't hear too many stories of this nature (being forced into a Macintosh by the person funding the purchase)...so I hope that you grow to enjoy the experience!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. Make sure you pay Mom back quickly!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Nice mom, now don't forget to pay for it! LOL Enjoy the new MBP and welcome to the forum. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I hope you remember to thank your mother and tell her that she was right after all!

Every (well almost) convertee comes to love the world of mac. Sure a few things are different than over in the other place but when you discovered this forum you also discovered a wealth of knowledge and support from the very helpful community here. Welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Good on ya mum and welcome to the forum macrothesblack . . . Its very obvious now what i have been told all these years is true, that Mothers Always Knows Best lol and seems your mother does. Well done nice purchase.
Now seeing you say your still coming to grips with it, have a look at these links as im sure they will help you out some.
Welcome and enjoy

And look at these Apps that a lot of us use everyday :)

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
wah wah wah!!!! My mommy would only by me the best stuff, and I hate the taste of silver spoons! wah wah wah!!!

Anyway, grats on the MBP. you will see the benefits soon enoug.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wah wah wah!!!! My mommy would only by me the best stuff, and I hate the taste of silver spoons! wah wah wah!!!

Ha ha...I sort of forgot about that "angle"...("I needed a new computer...and all my mom would buy me was a Mac!"););)

- Nick

p.s. Sorry OP...couldn't resist.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen

Anyway, grats on the MBP. you will see the benefits soon enoug.

Don't make fun while you misspell words.

Anyway, being that you a college student with a limited amount of funds, I understand her choice. Its comes down to basics. Sure, she could have helped you buy the cheap $700 PC, but chances are you would have been back there next year doing the same thing. So ... Spend 2000 dollars once, or 700 dollars 3 or 4 times. You bought a quality product that you will most likely graduate with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Ah, the "sultan of syntax" up there... Wow, has humor just up and gone from the interwebs? Chill out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Is your mother taking applications for additional children?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
As a follow up I have to say I am really enjoying the lap top.

Its almost payed for too!;D

Sorry she isn't take applications at this time.

C

chas_m

Glad you are enjoying the laptop!

Your mom gave you a lesson in "tough love" there, but the key word I think is LOVE.

Bravo to you too for being versatile enough to take on another operating system that was "out of your comfort zone." Do let us know if you have any questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Jeeez, I had to use my tax return and part of a student loan to buy mine! :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Jeeez, I had to use my tax return and part of a student loan to buy mine! :-D

I had to give up my right lung, donate plasma to afford mine. Hahaha

But seriously, had it not been for the release of the MBP refresh I would have only filed my tax returns 11 days ago.

C

chas_m

You had it lucky! There were 150 of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road!

Oh wait ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You had it lucky! There were 150 of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road!

Oh wait ...

And you had to share 1 pair of shoes!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
im gonna be honest here. I love my mac- it just works. The problem is I don't know how to use it properly or as efficiently as my pc. Those mac classes they offer are a MUST- I tell ya. Anyone know of any websites or videos that teach u how to use it for what its worth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You are lucky to have such a knowledgeable mother. Despite my mom working as an accountant and works with computers almost all day long knows nothing about them. >_>"

Mother's day is around the corner, get her something nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.