Audio Out to speak to an Audience.

Reaction score
Hey you guys, I just bought a top of the line Mic for my Mac...I want to do a little stand up comedy show for my friends and was going to connect my mic to my computer and use audio out for the speakers on my Mac..What program or how do i set up my computer so i can talk to an audience through my mic on my Mac? I want to be able to speak through my Mic and have my voice come out of my speakers. Any advice please help me. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hey you guys, I just bought a top of the line Mic for my Mac...I want to do a little stand up comedy show for my friends and was going to connect my mic to my computer and use audio out for the speakers on my Mac..What program or how do i set up my computer so i can talk to an audience through my mic on my Mac? I want to be able to speak through my Mic and have my voice come out of my speakers. Any advice please help me. Thanks.

Doing what you're trying will produce dreadful feedback (squeal) because you need to keep the input (mic) as far away as possible from output (speakers).

The amp inside your iMac is not very powerful, nor will the built-in speakers tolerate too much input.

The simplest way to use your Mac as a PA system is to have a line out from the headphones jack to an external amplifier, to a set (pair) of speakers. If you have a portable stereo, like they used to call 'ghetto blasters', you can use the Aux input on that to plug the line out from your Mac to it, select Aux on the stereo, and fiddle with the output volume. Just keep your mic well away from the speakers.

Reaction score
How large of an audience are we talking about here?

I would really not recommend doing that. You can get a cheap PA for $50 rather than abuse a $1000 computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well I wasnt going to use my Mac speakers for the output...I have good computer speakers connected to the Mac. you see wut im saying. So i just need a program that will make me be able to have output going out. Like on a PC i just uncheck the output volume in the sounds and then i can directly start talking into the mic and it works. how do i do this for the MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
I'm sure there's an easier way, but you can do it through garageband. Just look in the preferences for your input/output set ups. You'll have to add a real instrument track and keep monitor set on. You could even incorporate some comedy noises on occasion with the musical typing option. Sounds like a fun gig, good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB Ram
Henvan20, did you manage to do this in the end?
I am trying to do the same, but I just want to listen to myself on my headphones while I sing.
How do i get the mic to go through my output?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Guys, I think you can do what you want with software that enables Playthru. Several audio programs support this. I believe Audacity does for example, but the easiest solution is probably RogueAmoeba's LineIn Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free Software for Mac OS X. best of all it's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.