• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AT&T Internet advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Now, this isn't the typical AT&T question -- it has nothing to do with either my DSL account, phone services, or wireless...

I've been doing a little bit of tech support for a local handyman, and he called me last week and told me that some of his customers can't get to his web site. After some investigating, I came to this conclusion: his site for some reason is being blocked by AT&T, as only AT&T customers can't get to it; Comcast, Roadrunner, Verizon, etc. customers can get to it with no problem. It's not just my local geographic region, either -- I've had AT&T customers from other states tell me they couldn't get it.

Now...a traceroute proves that the hops do not go past AT&T's site, yet their tech support insists that it's not a problem on their end but on the host's end - even though the AT&T tech guy himself admitted he couldn't get to the site...however, it never even reaches the host's IP. AT&T gives me the runaround, and the host (1and1.com) insists it's not a problem on their end -- which I absolutely believe.

Any thoughts?? Anybody know of a way I can get to someone at AT&T who knows what they're talking about? (that is, aside from the usual customer service numbers listed on the web site?) Seriously, my customer is losing business over this, and I'm actually thinking of going to the local problem solving problems (this is Chicago we're talking about -- lots of readership) and see if that'll possibly get things going...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.