Who repairs DOA logic boards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel MacBookPro, G5 iMac 20" iSight, iPhone 2G, many more gone but not forgotten
My 20" iMac iSight 2.1 GZ died and the repair center said, "Logic Board $800 please." Is there another solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My 20" iMac iSight 2.1 GZ died and the repair center said, "Logic Board $800 please." Is there another solution?
If a certified repair center said the only option was a new logic board, then that is likely your only option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The other solution is to replace or repair it yourself. If you're capable and willing to do the job it would certainly save you money. The iFixit site specializes in do it yourself repairs and has step by step instructions for most repairs and part replacements including logic boards.

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Another alternative is to have the logic board repaired rather than replaced. There are several repair services that specialize in this type of work and guaranty results. Here's an example of one such place:

Link

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Depending what is damaged on a logic board they can be very difficult to repair. Some of the components are so small that you can end up doing more damage than good.

I know that $800 dollars is a lot of money...and to be honest, someone would have to be insane to pay for it;)...because a G5 20" 2.1ghz iMac isn't even worth $800!:(

For $849 you could get one of these:

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

...a refurbished iMac 20" 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo!

Another option would be to find a used G5 20" 2.1ghz iMac on e-Bay that has problems (but a good logic board)...that maybe you could pick up cheaply.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel MacBookPro, G5 iMac 20" iSight, iPhone 2G, many more gone but not forgotten
Anyone know who repairs Logic Boards?

It seems that I saw a post from a Mike Lafferty pertain to the repair of failed G5 logic boards. Does anyone know which post?

Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.