dialup internet stopped working.. help please!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to Mac, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on my problem. I'm using an iBook G4 with OS X 10.4.6

Until recently I was using a Freeserve dialup account and it was working fine.

Then i installed AOL to take advantage of the free trial (dialup). I also started using the Airport to use wifi broadband. I have now uninstalled AOL by dragging it to the trash.

My problem is that now when I try to connect using the dialup connection, although it seems to connect ok, and it shows that I am connected, with the minutes ticking by, I cannot access the internet. I've tried disabling the Airport before connecting with the internal modem, but same result. I've looked in the Diagnostics area in Internet Connect, and it shows everything as ok with a green light except the last two items, Server and Internet, which have red lights. I've tried using the diagnostic tools to fix it, but no luck.

I am still able to connect using wifi, but even with that I am having problems, as I am not able to connect to certain sites. At first i thought this was the fault of my ISP, but i've tried connecting through different wifi connections (thanks to my neighbours!) and i still have the same problem. Not sure if this is connected.

Any ideas? The freeserve account settings are the same as they used to be, so i don't understand what's changed...

cheers!

OP
B
Reaction score
have solved this problem, but still having problem connecting to certain pages... will post as new thread to keep things simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.