Third Party Burner not Working

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. However, we own a Mac and absolutely love it. We have had many add-on hardware items. The latest, however, did not work. We purchased a DVD-R/CD-R burner from Other World Computing (OWC) or MacSales.com. The burner never really worked. iTunes would shut down each time we tried to burn a CD, and the unit itself would turn off completely. It would only turn on when unplugged and then plugged back in.

The item is an OWC Mercury Pro FireWire 800/400, eSATA, USB 2.0 SATA 5.25". We worked with OWC for two months doing the following: a) rebooting our machine multiple times, b) installing a patch called Patchburn 4.5, c) and then deleting a lot of preference files on the computer HD. They also suggested downgrading our version of iTunes and/or creating a new account, both of which have had negative results for us in the past (including losing music).

They have a 30-return policy, however, they have “graciously” offered to take the unit back (with a restocking fee) after admitting two months later that the unit does not work with the newer version of iTunes.

What I want to know is if anyone here has also had an issue with an OWC Mercury Pro FireWire 800/400, eSATA, USB 2.0 SATA 5.25" burner and what they did to resolve the issue? We have a Mac mini with OS X 10.4.11. It is about 6 years old.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They have a 30-return policy, however, they have “graciously” offered to take the unit back (with a restocking fee) after admitting two months later that the unit does not work with the newer version of iTunes.

What I want to know is if anyone here has also had an issue with an OWC Mercury Pro FireWire 800/400, eSATA, USB 2.0 SATA 5.25" burner and what they did to resolve the issue? We have a Mac mini with OS X 10.4.11. It is about 6 years old.

What version of iTunes are you running? The latest is 10.2.1. You're running Tiger on an older PPC machine, however, the system requirements for iTunes shows support for your machine. I would guess the burner you bought from OWC isn't supported by your machine. In other words, it's a hardware anomaly not software. It's good that OWC agreed to take it back even though you had to pay a restocking fee.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank You

@chscag: Thank you for your input. I was starting to think I did not know the difference between a true software issue and a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.