Easy way to set up a home network

Reaction score
I want to set up a home network between my XP desktop and my Macbook. Right now I have a wireless linksys router which I've set up for a wireless network.
How can i create a network between my desktop and laptop so I can swap files between them? If anyone knows of a very user-friendly, easy to follow guide to doing this that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you already have the router, then you are set. Just plug everything in and you are good to go. You should be able to see and swap files between machines by looking for the other computer in "My Network Places" on PC and the "Network" folder in Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Don't forget to turn on "Windows Sharing" in System Preferences>Sharing.

OP
F
Reaction score
I've enabled Windows Sharing in the mac options but when I use Finder to go to the Network all I can see is Library and Servers. If I click Servers, I can see 'tt06-computer.local', which is my laptop.. where do I go from here?

Thanks

edit: so basically i can see my laptop in the Network bit of Finder but not my desktop. how can i make my dekstop visible there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
ok... create a folder on your windows and call it Net share or whatever. once created right click on it and choose file sharing. Once you have done that you should be able to go on your mac and select that folder and thats it! Drag and drop files and you will be able to get them on your windows and vice versa

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, I managed to set it up so I can access stuff on my desktop through my macbook and the other way round too. :black:
One last question..In XP (desktop PC) I can go to 'add a network place' and when i type in my macbook IP addy etc it lets the desktop access every single file on my macbook without needing a password. How can I stop this from happening? in XP I can limit the folders the macbook has access to through the network, but when its the other way round the person on the desktop can snoop through all the macbook files and programs.
anyway around this?

cheers.

R

Rcadden

when I try this, it asks for a username and password, which is the same on both the pc and the mac, so i put it in and it says it's not valid. Any ideas?

R

Rcadden

k I changed my password in windows thinking perhaps it was having trouble since they were the same. So now when I go through the steps, trying to view windows on my ibook, it asks for a username and password. It has already filled in the workgroup and username, so all I need to input is a password. I've tried both my windows password and my mac one, neither work. Any suggestions? I thought macs were easy?

S

Slinky

hiye.. need help with some networking problem. Basically, i can access MAC files on my PC desktop, however, i can't access the PC files from my ibook. I have enable file sharing on my PC with folder specifically for sharing. I tried the method on http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html but when i'm at the step of connecting my ibook to the PC using the smb:// "IP address"... the ibook couldn't connect to it. Inside my Network on the ibook, i can see my PC name in the WORKGROUP folder, when i double click it and enter the username and password, it says "Alias not found... " Can anyone help me with this? Is it something to do with the port forwarding? if yes, please enlighten me.. i'm bad with the port forwarding stuff. Thanks!

K

komo

i stumbled onto the very same problem, which is just solved itself after i restart the PC. i think the problem doesn't lie on your Mac, but the PC you try to access. have you tried to access that box from computers other than your ibook??

S

Slinky

Nope.. haven try access it with other computers coz i only owns a ibook and this PC.. haha. However i suspect it has something to do with my ports maybe... i checked the firewall log and it shows something like this :

2006-06-28T20:48:58+08:00 info src=219.75.39.220 dst=219.75.110.129 ipprot=6 sport=3087 dport=139 Unknown inbound session stopped

2006-06-28T20:48:59+08:00 info Previous log entry repeated 2 times

But its weird tat my PC can access to the MAC but the MAC couldn't connect to the PC. Tried restarting too.. but didn't help. :confused:

K

komo

if you can't try to access the pc using another computers, try to access different services on your PC via your Mac. For example, build a webserver or an FTP server on your PC and access it via your Mac.

if those connections works, the problem lies on your Windows shares or on your Mac firewall. if those connections failed, you have connectivity problems (cable, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I would check above all to be able to access the Mac thru the PC first, then make sure all sharing was enabled through the PC. If everything followed for the Mac has been followed, it should be on the PC side.

S

Slinky

Hmm.. i'm not really sure how to create FTP server.. etc. Pretty basic user here.. haha. But i tink the problem most likely lies with the PC. By the way, i'm not using any cables.. etc. My PC and ibook shares the same modem. Keep getting the Alias not found.. and asked me to delete Alias or fixed Alias. Arghh.. this problem is driving me crazy.. hahaha.

S

Slinky

Ok.. seems like the "connect to server" can get a respond now. I entered my PC's IP address and tries to connect. A authentication box pop up and i entered my Window's username and my password and click connect. However, it says The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://192.xxx.x.xx" could not be read or written. (Error code -36). Now wats wrong again? :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.