Power Mac g5

Reaction score
Alright one of my family members gave me a power mac g5 with out a hard drive. I need help on which one i should buy? I have os X Tiger install disks..

but i also need help on what i should do with the graphics card. I have a geforce 6800 ultra ddl card that they let me have and the original which she broke a piece off of... so the most im really going to be doing with the computer is photoshop and music and video... what should i do

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Alright one of my family members gave me a power mac g5 with out a hard drive. I need help on which one i should buy? I have os X Tiger install disks..

but i also need help on what i should do with the graphics card. I have a geforce 6800 ultra ddl card that they let me have and the original which she broke a piece off of... so the most im really going to be doing with the computer is photoshop and music and video... what should i do

You need an SATA hard drive, and you need a video card that is made for Macintosh computers. If that "6800" card came from a "Windows PC", then it won't work on a Mac.

You didn't mention what model G5 Powermac you have (there were about 14 different models)...but here are some video cards that came in them:

GeForce FX 5200
Radeon 9600
GeForce 6600

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick advised a SATA hard drive. See if you can get a SATA 1 drive, as some of the SATA 2 were not backwards compatible with SATA 1. Also the 6800 is a great card - worth just on $600.00 when new and it handle whatever you want.

Beef up the memory to at least 4GB to handle PS.

OP
L
Reaction score
Alrighty The model number is A1047. It has 2GHz and at the moment 1.5Gb Ram, and the 6800 Geforce ultra ddl graphics card. Then an 80 Gb Harddrive.

I know im going to need to get more ram for it and defiantly some more hard drive space. is thier anything else that i can do that will make it run smooth.

Whats the latest OS I can put on it. Right now i loaded OS X Tiger 10.4. Im more then positive that i cant put snow leopard on it, but any ideas. I can get a hold of any of the OS's thats not a problem. just which one?

!0.4 seems to be running ok... I was updating and it froze twice on me doing that but it has installed them now...
any help will do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
10.5 will run great on that machine, and the 6800 will also support core image. I would deff upgrade the memory to at least 2gb for now, but you can never have too much memory.

OP
L
Reaction score
alrighty new issue with the machine...
I've looked around searching google and other forums and from what i see its a very common issue on alot of this g5..
when i turn it on the led light flashes twice and the screen stays black but the machine is running but its not loading. I know its not the ram. cuase their all plugged in all the way. Some times the led light wont flash but it just wont load still.
From what ive read the like three issues ive seen have been
-ram
-logic board
(dont know what that is)
-then power supply

but like if i keep turning the machine off and back on i can get to work just fine. but it only loads the os and everything like 20% of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look at this link for some assistance:-

About the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) diagnostic LEDs

You can count out memory as on a Dual Core you will get three beeps and the fans running like a Jumbo Jet motors at take off if you have faulty RAM, no RAM will give the two flashes you describe. Logic board means a new logic board, big time pricey which maybe the reason you got the machine for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.