Safari wont save a preference change

Reaction score
So about a month ago, a friend of mien jumped on myspace and when it asked he said "do not ask again" for the password remember prompt.

I am at a loss, I have deleted the "do not save" in the preferences about 100 times, and it still wont save it... I even have "save this password" but it wont. I completely reset my browser, and it still has the issue... please help... any suggestions are appreciated, otherwise I have to go to genius bar for just this... -_-

Reaction score
Safari saves all your passwords in your keychain (Applications>Utilities>Keychain access). You could try manually entering your password there.

OP
A
Reaction score
this is the line that wont stay gone:

www.***.com Never Save Password

and no matter how many times I hit remove and then done, every time I reopen safari it returns... I see nothing close to this in my keychain... other then the line that appears right above it...
www.***.com ********

Its not 100% important but it is very very frustrating...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can try moving the 'com.Apple.safari.plist' file found in ~/Library/Preferences. ~ is your home folder.

Just move the file to the desktop and reboot. It will automatically rebuild itself.

If it works, you can them move the file to the trash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, all I can say is look again, because it's there.

Make sure you are looking in your user account folder not the MacIntosh HD folder.

And if you still can't find it, sorry, but I'll need more than "I can't find it". Like maybe a screenshot of the Finder window you're looking at.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, So I went in to my user file not the macHD, found the right item, moved it to the (Desktop), and when I opened safari again, it rebuilt the item just as you said, but it seemed to only effect the bookmarks, it didn't change any of my AUTOFILL options, especially not my usernames and passwords :) which is were the issue is... Thank you for the attempt, any more suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just going to repeat a couple of things already mentioned - since you haven't said you did both of them.

In Safari Preferences - Autofill - deleted this site from there
In Keychain - you have also deleted this site from there
Look through your login Keychain list - and what I'm looking for is not always located in the order I thought it would be.

After you have done this - you'll need to close and restart Safari.

Don't know where else to go from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.