copying URLs from word to firefox?

Reaction score
Hi,

On my PC (may it rest in peace), I was able to insert hyperlinks into text in Word and then copy the whole shebang into my Gmail to send - hyperlinks survived the cut-and-paste process from Word to Gmail.

Now I have Office for Mac 2008, and while it's still easy to create hyperlinks in Word docs, when I copy the text into my Gmail compose window the hyperlinks disappear. It's a minor issue, I guess, but annoying.

Is there a fix for this? I poked around in the preferences on both Word and Firefox and found nothing, and saving the hyperlinked text as .doc or .docx didn't make a difference. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
In word, right click the link and select "copy hyperlink" (or somthing like that). You can then past the URL anywhere.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, I got that - there is a copy hyperlink option if you're just clicking the hyperlink itself.

But what I typically have to do is copy a block of text - including plain text plus one or two hyperlinks within the sentences - and paste that into the body of an email. It might look something like this...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Cras non ipsum in turpis iaculis convallis. Ut quis nisl eu urna nonummy rutrum. Aenean pulvinar lectus. Donec quis orci. Pellentesque sit amet felis. Donec lorem magna, facilisis et, accumsan non, varius eget, dolor. Nam eu libero. Cras eu arcu.

And what I need to do is copy that whole paragraph, with live links, and transfer it to my email program without the hyperlinked words getting de-hyperlinked. Mac seems to say no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Try pasting into TextEdit and see what you get - it sounds as if Word isn't copying the hyperlink information, but just the text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's a problem with word. It's not copying the data to the clipboard correctly. Stupid MS.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think you're right. I was able to copy and paste the text block+hyperlinks from Word to TextEdit (which I didn't know existed! thank you!), but still can't go from TextEdit to my email without re-inserting the hyperlinks. Guess I'll just have to get used to it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you're composing the email in Rich Text Format or HTML mode. That's the only way complex things like hyperlinked text (and text styles) can get pasted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.