Macbook A1181 keyboard and trackpad error.

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was hoping that you could help me with a problem I have.

I have a Macbook A1181, and the problem is that the keyboard and trackpad dosen't work.
The power bottom works fine.

I have tried to change the cable between the topcase and motherboard but that didn't help.
USB keyboard and mouse works fine.

If I lift the topcase when everything is on, unplug the topcase, wait for 5 sec and the plug it in again then I often can get it to work.
But everytime I reboot or the computer goes to sleep the error comes back.

Right now i'm using OSX v. 10.6.8

I have also tried to reinstall, flash NVRAM ect. But that didn't help.

Can anybody help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you've done a pretty good job of troubleshooting the situation.:)

When you said you "...tried to change the cable between the topcase and motherboard but that didn't help."...was this a:

- brand new cable?
- a 2nd used cable?
- used the same cable?

If you tried a brand new cable...and this didn't solve the problem...do you have any broken or bent pins? Or...maybe there's something wrong with the socket on the logic board where this cable plugs in.

Just "throwing" some possible ideas your way.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks.
I used a brand new cable. Error is the same.

When I unplug the keybord for 5 sek and plug it in again it ussaly works until next reboot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi.

Thanks.
I used a brand new cable. Error is the same.

When I unplug the keybord for 5 sek and plug it in again it ussaly works until next reboot.

This may seem silly...but do you think the OS on this MacBook is "messed up"? Sometimes the cache or preference files can get "messed up" and cause lots of little "weird" errors like this.

If the keyboard works until next reboot...this is "weird"!;) Download & install "Onyx" a free maintenance program:

Download OnyX for Mac - Mac OS X maintenance and optimization tool. MacUpdate.com

And have it clear all your preference files & caches (only use the default settings for Onyx)...don't "check" all the boxes. Maybe this will help clear up this keyboard problem.:)

I had a problem with my MacBook Pro recently where I couldn't turn off my bluetooth. I used Onyx to clear my caches & preference files...and afterwards I was able to turn off the MacBook Pro's bluetooth no problem.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick.

Thanks for your reply. But I already tried installing different versions of OSX

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.