Can I stream media to my iPad?

Reaction score
The subject says it all.

I want to buy an iPad if I can stream media from my network HDs.

Can this be done?

Cheers, Mal

Reaction score
FileBrowser is an iPad app which lets you access files on your computer over the local network or the internet.
This is a function shared by roughly one zillion other apps in the store.

What makes FileBrowser different is that it can access network-attached storage (NAS), letting you stream video and music to your iPad from a Time Capsule or other network drive without switching on a computer.

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

SM

OP
M
Reaction score
FileBrowser is an iPad app which lets you access files on your computer over the local network or the internet.
This is a function shared by roughly one zillion other apps in the store.

What makes FileBrowser different is that it can access network-attached storage (NAS), letting you stream video and music to your iPad from a Time Capsule or other network drive without switching on a computer.

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

SM

Thanks Sur3Mac - you've been a great help.

So you recommend NAS storage and the use of Time Capsule. No need for AirPort of Mac Mini or in fact any other device to view on iPad or MBP?

Say if I were to purchase a 3TB time capsule - how do you back that up? On your NAS storage?

Cheers, Mal AU

Reaction score
So you recommend NAS storage and the use of Time Capsule. No need for AirPort of Mac Mini or in fact any other device to view on iPad or MBP?

No, no need for all that, you don't even have to switch on your computer, just the network storage and your Modem/Router

Say if I were to purchase a 3TB time capsule - how do you back that up? On your NAS storage?

You can 'force' Time Machine to backup to other mounted network shares. In Terminal, run the following:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

This should then allow you to backup to your SMB, AFP and NFS network shares. If they do not initially show up in Time Machine, mount them and then re-check.

SM

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your input.

I have endeavoured to assimilate what has been proffered and think I'm going to do the following...

Condense all my data to a 4TB NAS Drive, connect it to my router and view media on my iMac or MBP and at a pinch get an app so I can also view it on my iPad.

(Back-up the 4TB NAS to USB Drives and my computers to USB attached HDs via TimeMachine)

What's the consensus fellas?

Cheers, Mal AU

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.