Single spacing in Word 2011 looks like 1.5 spacing

Reaction score
I am trying to type a document that is double spaced. When I type the document in single spacing, it looks more like it's about 1.5 spacing, so when I change the line spacing to double, the spacing is far larger than it should be. When I go into the Paragraph dialogue box, the Before and After boxes are set to 0 pt, and the line spacing is set to single. However, the document does NOT look like it is in single spacing (and previous documents I've typed do show correct spacing). This happens each time I try to open a new file, and it persists even after I've rebooted the computer.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Same Issue

I've had this same issue, and can't find any information on it. All responses I've seen elsewhere suggest the obvious regarding spacing before and after, and selecting "single" spacing.

Let me know if you're able to figure anything out.

Reaction score
Figured it out!

So, I don't quite understand what's happening in this fix, but it works. The basic instructions are here:
Office 2011 for Mac: Change Word’s Default Document - For Dummies. Follow the instructions beginning with "You can overwrite the Normal.dotm template..."

To fix this specific problem, you'll need a file generated from someone else's Word, where single spaced really means single spaced. Once you open the Normal.dotm file, copy and paste text from the correctly spaced document--it should still be correctly spaced. Then delete the text, and save the document, as the Normal.dotm file.

Now, whenever you open a new document, it will display that same file as the blank document, with the proper spacing.

Cool! Hope this works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.