Safari

Reaction score
I want to play around with Safari again. At first I didn't like Safari so I deleted it. But now I want to download it again to try it again. But the only version I can find to download on the Apple web site is not compatible with my mac for some reason. Is there anywhere else I can get another version of Safari? :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Safari is bundled with OS X, you can't download it. What version of OS X do you have?

OP
Katness
Reaction score
I have 10.4.7. I also have the OS X install disk as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
install it from the discs that came with your mac. do not delete programs that came with your mac unless your sure you have the cd or dvd that came with your mac

OP
Katness
Reaction score
I tried the reinstall bundled sofware. but it didn't seem to have installed Safari. I don't need to click OS X do I? (now I feel like the village idiot)

Reaction score
You can reinstall Safari from the Tiger disc doing a Custom install. Before doing that, remove the Safari.pkg from Macintosh HD > Library > Receipts

After installing, check Software Update for Safari's update.

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel it's absolutely ridiculous that it can't be downloaded via the internet? What if I lost the CD or don't have it with me? I'm just SOL?

This is a huge inconvenience and almost overshadows many of the reasons I like it over Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well that could be true, but if you lost your install disks, then you have bigger problems than just Safari if something went wrong. ;)

I don't see a big problem not being able to download Safari, it's not like it doesn't come with every Mac. You also can't download Mail, Address Book, iCal, iChat, etc.

M

MacHeadCase

The original disks that came with your Mac should always be available. Losing them? Would you lose the keys to your car? :eek:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
people do lose the keys to their cars. happens all the time.
and typically all you need to do is engage the dealer - with the proper paperwork and a vin - to get a new set at a nominal fee.
that is, of course, if you don't have a backup.

which begs the question...
can you dup the mac discs that come with your hardware?
(not should, mind you, but can you?)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am very sure you can make backups of the Install DVD's. I did it with my Tiger DVD just in case something bad happened to it. Never tried backing up the DVD that comes with the computer though.

M

MacHeadCase

The comparison with car keys was bad. After all, install disks stay home all the time. Pretty hard IMO to lose them.

G

Guardian

My neighbor's house burnt to the ground 3 months ago, he lost everything he owned, except for the cloths he had on when he went to work that morning and the laptop he was carrying.

M

MacHeadCase

So this means that all the people coming in forums saying they've lost their install disks were victims of house fires?

;^)

The thing is this: you buy a computer, store your install disks in a secure place where you know they are. This is as precious as your computer. The disks are a way to fix and save your computer. Simple. The disks should be considered as such.

G

Guardian

Dont think I said that at all. My comment was simply to point out that accidents happen everyday. And each person/incident can have unique and different reason for needing or requesting something, and thus be dealt with individually.

M

MacHeadCase

I was merely pushing the reason you gave to the absurd. The fact remains that the install disks should be considered as priceless as the computer they came with.

And if anyone buys a used computer, he/she should make sure the install disks that came with the Mac initially be included in the deal.

G

Guardian

There we are in agreement, however in my neighbor's case the word should be tragedy not absurd.

M

MacHeadCase

There we are in agreement, however in my neighbor's case the word should be tragedy not absurd.

And I never said it was. I was thinking in absolute you are thinking in specific. Anyway, I'm letting this go since you are obviously looking for something here and it is way off topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Seeing as how seldom the install discs are actually needed and the fact that when you buy software, you are primarily buying a license to use that software, I tend to agree that apple should provide replacement discs at nominal cost - especially for machines that shipped with the OS version being requested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.