Links in PPT not working since it is downloaded to local drive

Reaction score
I have created a HTML Landing Page from which i have hyperlinked to a PPT. Inside this PPT there are other links which opens a video/PDF/html. All these files are in the
DVD.

When I Open the HTML Landing Page from the DVD in Windows and MAC Firefox/Chrome/Safari browsers and click the PPT Links, it (PPT) downloads to the local drive and the links (video/PDF/html) inside the PPT doesn't work since the assets are available in the DVD and not in the local drive.

I know the downloading the PPTs is a browser default function but I want to know whether there is any possibility to open from the DVD drive path itself or any other ways to work the links inside the PPT.

Thanks in advance for any help in regard to this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You need to explain this a little better. What's PPT? What do you mean by downloading?
(downloading means getting a file from somewhere else - some other computer, the web, a server, etc.) I don't know what these statements mean - I could guess, but often that isn't helpful.
... and click the PPT Links, it (PPT) downloads to the local drive ...

I know the downloading the PPTs is a browser default function...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
@gshali, PPT is PowerPoint..

@lapiz, unlike PDF/TXT/GIF/PNG and other commonly used Web formats, PPT files are not natively viewable under any browser, so they will have to be downloaded either to a temporary location or to a Downloads folder and since you are using relative paths for additional assets, the links will all fail.

Does the landing HTML page just have a link to the PPT file nothing more when placed on the DVD? If just the PPT link, for WIndows at least you can use a autorun.inf file to launch your PPT file, however, there is no equivalent in the Mac world..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I Open the HTML Landing Page from the DVD in Windows and MAC Firefox/Chrome/Safari browsers and click the PPT Links, it (PPT) downloads to the local drive and the links (video/PDF/html) inside the PPT doesn't work since the assets are available in the DVD and not in the local drive.
You're not really going to be able to avoid this. A browser will never execute a file - this would be a terrible security flaw if it did. Consequently, the best they can do is download the file which, in the case of a locally run file, sort of acts like making a copy (from the DVD to wherever the file is downloaded to). As you found out, this breaks all the links.

The only way I can think to avoid this is to embed all the content into the PPT presentation. That way, it won't matter where it is. However, this doesn't prevent the "download PPT" problem.

If everything linked to in the PPT is a video, PDF or HTML file, why not just re-write the presentation as a web page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
@gshali, PPT is PowerPoint..

I guessed he meant ".ppt file," but he might have meant post production test, or professional poker tour, etc. :)

But seriously, I just wanted to know what he expected to happen with a powerpoint file.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your time to give your best suggestions/reply to my question!

I would like to rephrase the issue which i'm facing rightnow. Here you go!

I have created a HTML page (startup Page) which has n number of links to only PPT file. This PPT file has a "Table of Contents" link which take the user to return to the HTML page (Original Startup page) and a couple of additional links to a video file and PDF file.

The issue i'm facing now is I'm unable to open the video/PDF/HTML page from the PPT, since the PPT file is downloaded to local drive and path I have given in the PPT doesn't work as they are in the relative path.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Would using PowerPoint's "save as web page" feature work for you?

Can you give us an example of path-to-file you are working with? Maybe that needs refining.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you using the PPT file to contain other presentation items as well or just links to videos and returning to the initial HTML page? If the latter, then as Vansmith suggested, you're better of doing all of this in just HTML wtih relative paths. If the video format you've chosen has support in the browser and on the OS the user is on, then it might play right there, otherwise it will be temporarily downloaded and played with whatever video player is available..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.