mac mini migration ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
I just got the mini I ordered and was going to use migration asst. to pull files from my emac (w/bad anolog board) but the manual says that both computers need to be running 10.4. The emac is using 10.3.9. I tried to upgrade the emac with a copy of 10.4 I had and it hangs up on destination disk verification, so I tried the new OS disk I got with the mini and saw my very first ever kernel panic. I need to retrieve the files, then I'm wiping the emac drive. I have never needed to copy a whole drives files before, so I don't know anything about Super Duper or Carbon Copy. Can either of those transfer files if one computer is running 10.3.9? Can the transfer be done using usb (time isn't and issue) or is firewire the only way? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You won't be able to install from a DVD made for Intel based system on a PPC based Mac. If you have trouble using Firewire, try USB or ethernet cable(LAN cable). Once you activate the sharing in your eMac, it should display under Network in Finder.

OP
Vlad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
I'm aware that any version will work the problem is i don't have any version that will work on the emac thats why I was wondering about carbon copy or super duper or any other program that might work with panther and tiger mix.

novicew I didn't really expect the intel version to work, I just tried it for the heck of it. If I network the two comps using usb will the will migration asst. work or will i need to just pull individual files

OP
Vlad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
Well just for general info, seeing that no one here really knew the answer to my question I desided to try a migration even though both comps weren't using 10.4 or higher. It worked flawlessly. I was able to pull all the files. network settings and apps. from the emac running 10.3.9 to the new intel mini without a hitch.
So you cant always believe what your read, hehe

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Alexis told you that any version of OSX after 10.1 will work and you have 10.3.9 and 10.4. She told you it would work. 10.1 is old. 10.3.9 is Panther.

OP
Vlad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
I appologize I'm a bit dislexic I read it as 10.4.1 not 10.1. Sorry I even misread it in the manual. Sorry my bad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I appologize I'm a bit dislexic I read it as 10.4.1 not 10.1. Sorry I even misread it in the manual. Sorry my bad.

I understand completely. I just wanted to point that out as I was getting a bit confused also since it was clear to me so I figured I might be reading something wrong! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
LOL, no problem. Glad it worked.

Alexis told you that any version of OSX after 10.1 will work and you have 10.3.9 and 10.4. She told you it would work.

He not she! :spook:

LOL. The female version of Alexis is Alexia.

Alexis was always a guy's name (originally Russian) until Dynasty came along and everyone started calling their daughters it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, no problem. Glad it worked.

He not she! :spook:

LOL. The female version of Alexis is Alexia.

Alexis was always a guy's name (originally Russian) until Dynasty came along and everyone started calling their daughters it!

OPPS!! Sorry! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sigh. I'm used to it.

LOL! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.