my touch won't transfer any music in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch
I have never had a problem when using Tiger, but since i updated to Leopard i've been having all sorts of problems with various apps.

Now my touch won't transfer my music, which are all regular mp3s that used to transfer normally. I try to add music manually by dragging a playlist into "cherrypod". It gives me the sync screen on my ipod for about 2 seconds (not nearly long enough to actually transfer all the songs). The playlist will appear on my ipod and the songs will appear too, but in itunes when i click on them it shows an exclamation point because the data is not there. When i try to play them on my ipod there is no sound.

I tried repairing my disk permissions and uninstalling/reinstalling itunes. I really don't want to restore my ipod because i'm afraid i'll end up not being able to replace the songs if the problem continues!

What do i do?

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
34 views and no replies :Angry-Tongue:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You don't have forty something views. Most of those views are from spider bots.

I don't have an iPod, but are sure it is leopard causing the problem or is it the latest verison of iTunes?

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When was 7.6 released? That's what I installed.
About a week ago I upgraded to leopard and the problems started then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
If your willing to try...
Try tossing the iTunes data file and xml file. They are in the iTunes folder.
Homefolder~/music/iTunes This will remove all files from iTunes. (that way it won't duplicate all the files when you rebuild it) You could also delete the preference file in your homefolder~library/preferences (com.apple.iTunes.plist) It would help.
Then launch iTunes, go to the iTunes menu/file/add to library/ and select your iTunes music folder. (where all your mp3 are kept)
This will rebuild your library.
Keep in mind all playlists and preferences will be gone and need reset as well. This will NOT damage your music files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It sounds like the files no longer exist on your hard drive, where iTunes expects them to be. Thats when I get the exclamation points.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i tried rebuilding my library as you said, but i don't think that's the problem. It will play and find the music fine that is in my itunes music folder, it just doesn't transfer to my ipod touch.
The songs do exist on my MBP hd, but they aren't transferring to my ipod's hd. Calendars and other stuff appear to sync fine, except when i manually add a playlist. Auto sync for music doesn't work either. In both cases it syncs for 2 seconds then the songs are listed but won't play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you trying to play the music that is on your IPT through iTunes? You can't do that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
The playlist will appear on my ipod and the songs will appear too, but in itunes when i click on them it shows an exclamation point because the data is not there.
You could also delete the preference file in your homefolder~library/preferences (com.apple.iTunes.plist) It would help
Did you delete that as well?
If that is working now, that just leaves the iPod. It probably needs restored...
You'll need to transfer your songs off the iPod. I haven't tried this program myself, but take a look.
http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/
If not and you have access to a Windows machine, I know how to rip the songs off the iPod...O:)

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you delete that as well?

Hehe you guessed it, i forgot to delete the preferences. I gotta head out at the moment, but I'll try that later tonight and hopefully it does the trick.

You'll need to transfer your songs off the iPod. I haven't tried this program myself, but take a look.
http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

As for my mp3s i have them already backed up to my external so restoring wouldn't be a big deal, i'm just fearful the problem might persist and i would be left with an ipod that still rejects transfers, meanwhile remaining completely songless. Oh well if it comes down to it i'll just have try it and see.

Are you trying to play the music that is on your IPT through iTunes? You can't do that

Hmm i didn't know this. Are all ipods like that, cuz i thought my nano used be able to do that? Unfortunately the touch isn't playing the added songs on it's own either.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The itunes thing didn't change anything. Guess i have to restore. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The itunes thing didn't change anything. Guess i have to restore. :Grimmace:

After a restoration, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore your last settings. So it's like you don't skip a beat.

I bricked mine at work yesterday. It wouldn't even boot! Had to wait four hours before I could go home and fix it. That wait was painfully anxious.

But I was able to start it in limp mode. I restored 1.1.1. Jailbroke it, prepped, updated to 1.1.2. Jailbroke that, prepped it, updated to 1.1.3. Then payed for the 4 apps. Maps is sswweeeett. And the mail settings are synced by iTunes. Worth $20 if you ask me.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's possible to maintain your jailbreak apps after updating to 1.1.3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, most of them still work. But Installer.app stopped working. So I did something very wrong while going to 1.1.3. It's definitely not a science yet! =) I did a restore in iTunes to 1.1.3 - so I'm back to a virgin IPT.
But we're not supposed to talk about it here... do you AIM?

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't AIM anymore, but i read my PM's.

I'm taking the last resort and restoring now, wish me luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck - let us know!

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it just needed a restore - it's good as new again. Thanks for your help guys.

It ends up that program Senuti doesn't work for the touch, but I found this great program for only $10 that transports everything on your touch to your hd, not just music. With this program it is very easy to use your touch in drive mode. It's called iPhone Drive, check it out.
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.